The Student Room Group

BKSB Access to HE assessment

Hi!

Firstly, it's my first time posting so I apologise if it's not in the right place.

I start my access to HE (health FT) and GCSE maths on the 12th September 2016 and have just received my initial assessment results.
I got a level 2 on my english BUT an entry level 3 on my maths. Granted, and evidently, maths is not my strong point and I got a D 13 years ago (one mark off a C annoyingly)

My problem is that I've never read of anyone on here getting an entry level result on this test and I'm worried they won't let me do my GCSE because of it. No one has said I can't so maybe I'm being overly anxious? I'm aware your maths can drop but this seems a significant drop? I know with hard work I would get my C - during the test I just went completely blank. I'm pretty embarrassed about it.

Do you think they will still let me do my GCSE? I'm hoping my previous D trumps their assessment and they don't think I'm a lost cause.

Thanks for reading :smile:
Original post by Littlepeg
Hi!

Firstly, it's my first time posting so I apologise if it's not in the right place.

I start my access to HE (health FT) and GCSE maths on the 12th September 2016 and have just received my initial assessment results.
I got a level 2 on my english BUT an entry level 3 on my maths. Granted, and evidently, maths is not my strong point and I got a D 13 years ago (one mark off a C annoyingly)

My problem is that I've never read of anyone on here getting an entry level result on this test and I'm worried they won't let me do my GCSE because of it. No one has said I can't so maybe I'm being overly anxious? I'm aware your maths can drop but this seems a significant drop? I know with hard work I would get my C - during the test I just went completely blank. I'm pretty embarrassed about it.

Do you think they will still let me do my GCSE? I'm hoping my previous D trumps their assessment and they don't think I'm a lost cause.

Hi Littlepeg
Congrats on your access course. I Have just completed an access in education alongside a GCSE maths. I got an E at school, then a D in my resit with As levels and now 15 years later finally got my C last week. My BKSB result was shocking but my access tutors at enrollment basically said that because I already had a D I could do it because they presumed I was just out of practice. They will not think you are a lost cause. They are there for you and want to see you succeed.
Good Luck with your studies, I am sure you will smash it 😀 Xx
Reply 2
Congrats on getting that C! Certainly sounds like you tried really hard and it's such a cliche but hard work obviously does pay off.

Are you off to uni now?! May i ask what you got in your maths BKSB? I'm terrified they will pull me aside on induction day and say i can't do the course.

Thanks for the support and again, well bloody done. The struggle is real x
Ahh thank you. So glad that I don't have to do maths again haha. Well I got a low level 1 in the BKSB. There were a mixture of scores on my course and the tutors asked if I was prepared to work hard to make sure I bring the grade up etc. You will be fine and if they ask just say that your mind went blank and that you are out of practice. Good luck in the course. Let me know what they say on induction 😀. Xx
Reply 4
Original post by Littlepeg
Hi!

You are being overly anxious. I used to administer bksb assessments in a previous job. 49% of the general population score below level 1 on the numeracy test (25% of people score E3). Your GCSE grade D means you were at level 1 so it is not really surprising that you scored E3 when you are out of practice.

The initial assessment result is just to see where you are at. Seeing as you just missed out on a C before (bottom end of level 2) then they could have easily started you on work that was too hard for you. Getting E3 basically means they are going to give you a refresher then cover new things later. It is probably a blessing in surprise to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending