Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've finished writing my personal statement to study maths at university, but it's 5000 characters long and the limit is 4000... Does anyone have any tips as to how to shorten it?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenLovesMaths)
    Hi everyone,

I've finished writing my personal statement to study maths at university, but it's 5000 characters long and the limit is 4000... Does anyone have any tips as to how to shorten it?

Thank you!
    Use the backspace button...

Anything that isn't academic/course related try and shorten or outright delete. No one really cares about all the "extra" stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    but it's 5000 characters long and the limit is 4000...
    No. The real limit is 47 lines, which is typically about 3,200 characters in practice. See my profile text to see why.

ReputationRep:
    Do you love maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    No. The real limit is 47 lines, which is typically about 3,200 characters in practice. See my profile text to see why.
    That's even worse! I really need some help..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Do you love maths?
    Can you not tell? haha
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    That's even worse! I really need some help..
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...SR-PS-reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Thank you!
    Check out my blog on personal statements:
    https://thenextchemist.wordpress.com...ment/#more-224

And my emails on there so you'll be able to email me a draft of your personal statement
    I'll proof read it and edit minor bits and tell you how to improve on it

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Try to see where ideas may have been repeated and only go into in depth explanations in the areas where you really think that the admissions tutors will focus on. If it is still under the limit the sixth form or college should have someone dedicated to reading and improving personal statements so they would be the best person to go to for feedback and advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Thank you!
    Never email your PS to a stranger on the interwebs. It is an unsafe practice.

(Original post by Bloom77)
    email me a draft of your personal statement
    Don't ask people on TSR to email you their PS. You know why.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree that uni admissions teams don't care about extracurriculars unless the course is really competitive, but I doubt a plain Maths degree would be so. I think what would really stand out and get you into more prestigious uni's is what you intend to do after you graduate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Yeah, I agree that uni admissions teams don't care about extracurriculars unless the course is really competitive, but I doubt a plain Maths degree would be so. I think what would really stand out and get you into more prestigious uni's is what you intend to do after you graduate
    The opposite is true of most of this. Your intentions after graduating are of no interest and a waste of space in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's not a case of cutting out information, but just rephrasing what you've got to make it shorter.

For example: (don't use these as they are super cliche)

From a very young age, I have always been interested in mathematics. (68 characters)

vs

My love of mathematics began at a very young age. (50 characters)

That's 18 characters gone in one sentence. Short sentences can be very effective. Obviously you will have a cut out some information, but this will probably get rid of about 300 characters for you

ReputationRep:
    Does it not give you a list of criteria to answer ? Only put in what is neccesary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna.Karenina;[url="tel:67363440")
    67363440[/url]]Sometimes it's not a case of cutting out information, but just rephrasing what you've got to make it shorter.

For example: (don't use these as they are super cliche)

From a very young age, I have always been interested in mathematics. (68 characters)

vs

My love of mathematics began at a very young age. (50 characters)

That's 18 characters gone in one sentence. Short sentences can be very effective. Obviously you will have a cut out some information, but this will probably get rid of about 300 characters for you
    That's a really good idea, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    That's a really good idea, thank you!!
    But it won't deal with 1,800 characters too many. You need to ruthlessly cut out the cliches, the repetition, the waffle, the irrelevant and the unhelpful, rather than just tinker. Read my profile and got to the TSR wiki on the subject for sage advice.

ReputationRep:
    Shorten the intro and the ending, shorten examples, or just take out chunks of text you think aren't as important. Try and maybe replace some of the longer words with shorter equivalents if you can.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You might be able to get away with abbreviating some things. So, instead of writing member of parliament, MP, maths instead of mathematics, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.