The Student Room Group

Article: Oxbridge applications: 5 tips for boosting your chances

Scroll to see replies

How many of those "100000s helped" got into Oxbridge or even actually applied?
Reply 2
Anyone else think he looks like Ed Miliband?
Reply 3
Tips 1-5: Be smart
Original post by UWS
Tips 1-5: Be smart

Tips 1-5: Be the smartest
Successful Cambridge applicant here - I thought the tips were decent (except the interview one didn't include maths/arts) but stretched out for far too long and the music was annoying ^.^
Original post by Little Toy Gun
How many of those "100000s helped" got into Oxbridge or even actually applied?

He means the number of people that watched his advice on YouTube, so I think that's fair
Original post by Professor Oak
He means the number of people that watched his advice on YouTube, so I think that's fair

That's a bit of a dodgy claim don't you think? One person could've viewed it multiple times, one person could've viewed all his videos, his videos could've popped up as a suggestion and closed soon after, and there's no way of telling if the viewers were university applicants, let alone being helped by him to apply to a top university.
That's a bit of a dodgy claim don't you think? One person could've viewed it multiple times, one person could've viewed all his videos, his videos could've popped up as a suggestion and closed soon after, and there's no way of telling if the viewers were university applicants, let alone being helped by him to apply to a top university.

No I don't think that's dodgy. He has around a million views on his content, so saying 100,000s is likely to be a conservative number if anything.

If you held most companies to that standard they wouldn't be able to write much at all about who they've helped :smile:
No I don't think that's dodgy. He has around a million views on his content, so saying 100,000s is likely to be a conservative number if anything.

If you held most companies to that standard they wouldn't be able to write much at all about who they've helped :smile:

And among those videos, only 3 have more than 100k views. Let's just assume people didn't view them more than once and that most people were actually applicants to top universities (instead of say, clicking into it only to see what it's about as a fellow Oxonian), you can still assume the same person would've viewed those videos and so unless you're arguing 1 person viewing 3 videos makes that 1 person 3, it's still clearly not 100000s people helped, especially when one of them was on the GCSEs, and thus can safely assume to not be viewed by applicants to top universities.

By your logic, he has just helped me applied to a top university even though I'm not applying to anywhere at all.

Can you give me an example where a company would use something as doggy as this? The last time I checked, Taylor Swift didn't claim to have sold 1 billion copies of "Blank Space" simply because the video has more than a billion views.

I think you're just being pedantic and trying to be difficult, it's clear where that figure has come from and his videos genuinely are pretty good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
I think you're just being pedantic and trying to be difficult, it's clear where that figure has come from and his videos genuinely are pretty good.

If one doesn't want to be scrutinzed, one shouldn't make random claims that don't hold up.
And among those videos, only 3 have more than 100k views. Let's just assume people didn't view them more than once and that most people were actually applicants to top universities (instead of say, clicking into it only to see what it's about as a fellow Oxonian), you can still assume the same person would've viewed those videos and so unless you're arguing 1 person viewing 3 videos makes that 1 person 3, it's still clearly not 100000s people helped, especially when one of them was on the GCSEs, and thus can safely assume to not be viewed by applicants to top universities.

By your logic, he has just helped me applied to a top university even though I'm not applying to anywhere at all.

Can you give me an example where a company would use something as doggy as this? The last time I checked, Taylor Swift didn't claim to have sold 1 billion copies of "Blank Space" simply because the video has more than a billion views.

Just going off website analytics, 2/3rds of user sessions tend to be unique in any month. I.e, 100 visits to our site tend to be generated by 70 users.

So if you have several hundred thousand views and claim 100,000s of students helped - that sounds pretty reasonable to me. You can't tell with YouTube analytics how many individuals have viewed, but that shouldn't stop you from being able to make a reasonable estimation based on your views.

Reasonableness is the key thing to think about here-there isn't any exact data.

Right Babe? ( Rich Piana)
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Right Babe? ( Rich Piana)

Big Rich Piana fan. Very sad about his break up.
Big Rich Piana fan. Very sad about his break up.

Not a fan , it's just his catchphrase is littered on every fitness channel XD
Just going off website analytics, 2/3rds of user sessions tend to be unique in any month. I.e, 100 visits to our site tend to be generated by 70 users.

So if you have several hundred thousand views and claim 100,000s of students helped - that sounds pretty reasonable to me. You can't tell with YouTube analytics how many individuals have viewed, but that shouldn't stop you from being able to make a reasonable estimation based on your views.

Reasonableness is the key thing to think about here-there isn't any exact data.

So what you're saying is Taylor Swift has 10 billion fans because she has 10 billion views in total even though the world has only 6 billion people? I mean, I'm not even counting her views on other websites, ticket sales, and record sales! Counting magazine covers and site visits and Twitter followers and all that I think Swift can reasonably assume her fan base is 10 times more than the total pop population of Earth!

Yes, very reasonable.

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say.

The academic conversation the video has sparked wasn't intended, but I'm glad. The numbers pumped out by mass media need more scrutiny, so if this discussion promotes that, fantastic.

The number was informed by my YouTube channel, email subscribers, and traffic to the other projects I work on with third-party organisations. I have factored in unique visitors to the web-based content, as I have a fancier analytics tool than YouTube analytics because I like data, but I will confess that measuring the impact for the offline content was fuzzier. Given all of that, I came to my figure.

Hope that clears thing up. I thought the best way was to simply lay out the rationale to be critiqued rather than the number. A number's value is worthless without context.

Cheers –*The guy from the video
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ValerieKR
Successful Cambridge applicant here - I thought the tips were decent (except the interview one didn't include maths/arts) but stretched out for far too long and the music was annoying ^.^

Guy from the video here I was torn on the music actually. Normally I don't include it but I thought I would be adventurous. Seems to have torn people.

Completely agree on the lack of science tips. Fortunately that is covered in the pack, but for anyone reading this comment and looking for some advice, the maths challenge puzzles are a great way to hone the skills they'll be pushing you for at interview.

Do you have any specific tips for how you prepare for your Cambridge interview?
Original post by Ja-m-ie
Guy from the video here I was torn on the music actually. Normally I don't include it but I thought I would be adventurous. Seems to have torn people.

Completely agree on the lack of science tips. Fortunately that is covered in the pack, but for anyone reading this comment and looking for some advice, the maths challenge puzzles are a great way to hone the skills they'll be pushing you for at interview.

Do you have any specific tips for how you prepare for your Cambridge interview?

Hi ^.^ Wow, I'm shocked that you read/replied to my comment!
I applied successfully to trinity maths and the interview was pretty much just working through questions alone, then working through them with two maths deities' eyes on you - I think that some good practise on further further maths questions like those on STEP (or the easier Oxford equivalent) and BMO1 is probably best for that.

The tip about talking through how you solve/think about a question with somebody far mathsier than you is dead on and very important for even maths, let alone other subjects.

Also something about not panicking ^.^ They were the most terrifying two hours of my life!

I can find a link for all the STEP and BMO1 past papers if you like?

Quick Reply

Latest