Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if actuarial firms have a group of target and semi target universities they recruit from similar to Investment Banks? Or does it generally not matter what uni you go to, providing the degree is highly quantitative? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk_98)
    Does anyone know if actuarial firms have a group of target and semi target universities they recruit from similar to Investment Banks? Or does it generally not matter what uni you go to, providing the degree is highly quantitative? Thanks
    No, they don't have target or semi-target universities. It doesn't really matter what uni you go to and the degree doesn't have to be extremely quantitative- I've seen people get into actuarial jobs with an accounting degree.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by mk_98)
    No such thing for acturial firms.. this target uni phenomenon is really only for front office banking, some more strategy focused consulting firms and the more snooty law firms (larger firms are actually becoming more open/progressive with uni recruiting - see Clifford Chance's uni-blind process).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whilst there are no 'target universities', you should aim to study at the best Mathematics department you possibly can. On my internship this year (at a top firm) the entire team was from Warwick, Imperial, Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL and Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turing)
    Whilst there are no 'target universities', you should aim to study at the best Mathematics department you possibly can. On my internship this year (at a top firm) the entire team was from Warwick, Imperial, Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL and Bristol.
    Did the majority of people there have maths degrees, or was it fairly mixed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk_98)
    Yes most had maths degrees, some had Act Science and a few had PhD's/MFE's.

ReputationRep:
    Which firm was this? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What top actuarial firms are doing summer internships for 2017, all I know of is Towers Watson and Aon (sorry I'm new to the actuarial field) . And when should I send these apps off.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    A friend is an actuary trainee, his firm took on 4 people in his intake year and all did maths. Strong preference for maths or physics.

(Original post by mk_98)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxab77)
    Which firm was this? Thanks
    One of the two you mentioned above, trying to stay anonymous haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    A friend is an actuary trainee, his firm took on 4 people in his intake year and all did maths. Strong preference for maths or physics.
    Do you know what unis they were from?

ReputationRep:
    Yes most had maths degrees, some had Act Science and a few had PhD's/MFE's.
    Ah OK. So would you say I'm at a disadvantage studying economics? My course does have a lot of maths involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk_98)
    Ah OK. So would you say I'm at a disadvantage studying economics? My course does have a lot of maths involved.
    Are you from Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL? If so you'll have no problem I think

ReputationRep:
    My friend did maths at Cambridge and took some advanced modules. One of his co trainees went to Imperial.

(Original post by mk_98)
    Do you know what unis they were from?

ReputationRep:
    For ac

(Original post by Foxab77)
    Are you from Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL? If so you'll have no problem I think
    For actuarial jobs it doesn't matter as much what uni you go to, as long as it's not a bad uni. A quick LinkedIn search will show that actuaries at top UNIX come from loads of different unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk_98)
    Slightly yes, especially for the bigger firms, although it's certainly not impossible.

What makes you choose Actuarial? Have you considered Risk, IBD, S&T or Management Consulting?

ReputationRep:
    Slightly yes, especially for the bigger firms, although it's certainly not impossible.

What makes you choose Actuarial? Have you considered Risk, IBD, S&T or Management Consulting?
    Oh I haven't chosen it yet, I'm just considering it as an option along with the other careers you mentioned (except ibd due to the long hours). If I did choose actuarial as a career, I would probably try to do an msc in actuarial science after my degree.

ReputationRep:
    The professional qualification for actuaries is tougher than accounting exams. Actuarial exams take 5 years and you have to take/pass exam each year. The pass rate is lower than accounting with a significant % dropping out. My friend gets plenty study leave and the firm pays for his books, courses etc. He still sacrifices part of his holiday for extra studies.

Hence firms are really selective to pick the right person who can get qualified.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.