Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good university? Anybody been there before - if you did, how is it like?

ReputationRep:
    Is this not the place that used to have a campus next door to Hull University and called itself The University Of Lincolnshire and Humberside?

By all account the words "touch" and "barge pole" spring to mind.

One of my friends got in with "E,E" or something similair. When the place shut down it's campus in Hull they transfered him onto a course at Hull University.

If it is the same place that I am thinking about there are only around two subjects for which it rates any good. Even then out of the 100 or so major uni's in the country it is ranked by all the major publications near the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Is it a good university? Anybody been there before - if you did, how is it like?

Generally OK, but Excellent in certain subjects.

One particular field it excels in is Forensics - as it is one of only two courses in the country being accredited by the Forensic Service industry.

It's also just had brand new shiny labs in with some extremely impressive equipment, state of the art technology, and highly modern facilities, including a crime house, and support from Lincolnshire Constab on evaluting field work.

Great city both it's new part, and the olde worlde Cathedral bit, a nice contrast, Uni stones throw from the city centre, and train station, nice high street/shopping centre area - accommodation brand new, and right next to the Union area.

I've got no worries about letting my sister go there to do forensics in 2005, but only do to it's excellent reputation in this area of study.

Lets just say it's a developing University in most areas, would certainly suggest that Lincoln Campus is better than its colleagues at Lincoln University (Hull Campus).

ReputationRep:
    I think it still has a campus in the centre of Hull, it used to have a nice campus next to Hull uni but this is now the Hull / York Medical School or something.

ReputationRep:
    I applied there.

It's a very nice University and I'll be staying in the Brayford Campus (I think, can't remember the name) not the Hull bit and it's right in the middle of a good town. But yeah, it's a new University...

ReputationRep:
    That's nice to hear. I surfed around the university website, the campus is very nice! What course are you studying?

(Original post by trev1122)
    That's nice to hear. I surfed around the university website, the campus is very nice! What course are you studying?
    my friend is there studying games computing and loves it, when i visited the town seemed really pretty but there isnt much nightlife or collective atmosphere for students

ReputationRep:
    How do you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonJam)
    I applied there.

It's a very nice University and I'll be staying in the Brayford Campus (I think, can't remember the name) not the Hull bit and it's right in the middle of a good town. But yeah, it's a new University...

I'll see you around sometime. :cool:
    I chose Lincoln all be it because my grades at as-level were not good enough for me to apply for better universities but since recieving my re-sit grades which were vast improvements in the majority of the modules (a's,b's & c's) I still feel happy about going. Having been to Lincoln on many occasions now checking it all out it seems perfect for me. No transport charges (except going home) and a *brilliant* accomodation set up. Although the cost has risen by almost 35% since last year! My self catered non en suite roon is costing £2735 roughly.

I honestly believe this university has a huge potential in the coming years and the steps they have taken to ensure this are for everyone to see. I think ill be in Court 4 Apartment 12 in Freshers week if anyone wants to pop in.

I originally chose PR as my first choice course but it is more than likely I'll switch to Journalism come September.

ReputationRep:
    You usually need 200 tariff points to get into Lincoln, mixture or C,D,E grades. I am planning to apply for IT courses there as they have nice computer facilities.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Journalism is 240 which is achieveable, I honestly don't know what I will come out with at A level now considering my improved effort in the re-sits.

I am sitting on

B,B,C,D (As)

I think Lincoln also only takes half of your ucas points for Gen Studies which is one of my B's. I personally want to know what the night life is like, I've seen all of the bars etc but haven't been around although one of my friends has. Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    They just want 1 A-level and 3 AS levels for admissions. But I am doing 3 A-levels. I wonder if they would take that into account.

ReputationRep:
    That would be minimum requirements no? I thought that would mean that if you got 200 pts from those three A-Levels then you would be in anyway..

I am unsure. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's the minimum. Of course, I'm going to take 3 full a-levels. Can I PM you about the uni and stuff cuz I'm kind of interested in this university.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, go ahead I'll tell you everything I know in answering your Q's.

ReputationRep:
    Are you in your first year?

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, I know someone there

He seems to like it there.

Yeah...

His AS results weren't as good as his A2s, so I think he regrets not applying to (for want of a better word) a 'better' university, but that's not to say he isn't enjoying it, because that couldn't be further from the truth.

ReputationRep:
    That was a thoughtful post hayley :rolleyes:

I can see myself having a great time, everything is geared towards the uni and I am sure more people will be wanting to go there in a couple of years. I am not bothered about it not being an 'excellent' university because I'd hate to be around the type of people who are going there (very generalized). The people who are going to good uni's from my school are far from interesting and I'ld feel a lot more comfortable around the others. Sorry if you are an A/B grade student but we probably wouldn't get along in the real world...alot of you are very up yourself...not all mind.

I am digging a big grave here, I'll stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 055Cnahtan)
    That was a thoughtful post hayley :rolleyes:

I can see myself having a great time, everything is geared towards the uni and I am sure more people will be wanting to go there in a couple of years. I am not bothered about it not being an 'excellent' university because I'd hate to be around the type of people who are going there (very generalized). The people who are going to good uni's from my school are far from interesting and I'ld feel a lot more comfortable around the others. Sorry if you are an A/B grade student but we probably wouldn't get along in the real world...alot of you are very up yourself...not all mind.

I am digging a big grave here, I'll stop.

Hey, that's his feelings, not mine.

I couldn't give two hoots about a university's reputation as long as it's the right one for me, or whoever. And Lincoln has turned out to be the right one for my boyfriend.

EDIT: In case anyone was interested, he'll be starting his second year in September. English and/with (I forget which) Journalism.

ReputationRep:
    Okay

Isn't it odd how there are so few people who are going to the University of Lincoln from these boards, hmm maybe it is a sign of some sort...I'll try not to dwell too much on that thought.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.