The Student Room Group

Junior doctors to strike again

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
Go ahead and arrest them.

Good luck doing all the Ops when every doctor stops work.

In such a scenario the government would presumably consider it politically expedient to arrest the strikers, which presumably means the doctors' position is so contrary to public opinion that closure of hospitals is acceptable.

In the present situation though, I think May will do it for the threat value and that will be effective on its own. I have to explain to Mrs IB why any threat from the deanery not to pass the GP trainees for the year due to days missed striking would ring hollow if they all missed it, the threat of arrest would certainly see her and all her friends back to work.

Long term I suspect the Tories will look to privatise and persuade consultants and GPs the same way Nye Bevan did, by stuffing their mouths with gold. Everyone has a price, and the big American healthcare providers will be willing to pay huge sums to doctors in order to initiate an insurance based system here.
Original post by kimkarsd
I disagree. i just dont think doctors should whine and ***** over nothing, that's all.

Well, yeh. That is easy to say for someone that isn't a Doctor and thinks that we are all rolling around in cash.
Well, I did and then you changed the rules.

No you didn't, I have not seen you refer to any nations.
It annoys me when people claim 'its just about the money'. I don't know of many people who would go into such a tough career as medicine just for the money as its not exactly extremely high atm - and they certainly wouldn't make up the majority of doctors who oppose the contract so that argument is just bs. Also, the Welsh government is choosing not to impose the new contract and would they really do so just on the basis of pay alone if this new contract was so amazing? I don't think so. Also, if you think Jeremy Hunt has handled this appropriately then there's something wrong with you because the misleading information about 'more deaths on the weekend' bs just shows how badly Hunt has handled this. Even the Scottish government said 'It is keeping junior doctors on their old contract because it says there is not enough evidence yet of an increase in deaths at the weekends - and even if there are differences at the weekend, it doesn't believe junior doctors alone can solve that. 'I find it hard to agree with the future strikes and of course there's an issue with evenings and weekends, but why is it only England that thinks the best way to handle this is to impose a new contract that is so vehemently rejected by the people who are experts in the field?
Original post by Iron Bowl
In such a scenario the government would presumably consider it politically expedient to arrest the strikers, which presumably means the doctors' position is so contrary to public opinion that closure of hospitals is acceptable.

In the present situation though, I think May will do it for the threat value and that will be effective on its own. I have to explain to Mrs IB why any threat from the deanery not to pass the GP trainees for the year due to days missed striking would ring hollow if they all missed it, the threat of arrest would certainly see her and all her friends back to work.

Long term I suspect the Tories will look to privatise and persuade consultants and GPs the same way Nye Bevan did, by stuffing their mouths with gold. Everyone has a price, and the big American healthcare providers will be willing to pay huge sums to doctors in order to initiate an insurance based system here.

Tbh, if you arrest Doctors, it will just inflame the situation. It will lead to the others striking. A lot of them are not going to strike simply because they can't be bothered to any longer. This will just aggravate them enough to take the next step.
Original post by The_Opinion
No you didn't, I have not seen you refer to any nations.

So, I can say Ecuador?
Well, yeh. That is easy to say for someone that isn't a Doctor and thinks that we are all rolling around in cash.

Sorry, but they earn a lot more than the average salary. It's just empty whining, and not realising how/why they get paid more, which is self-evident in your case.
Reply 67
Just gonna be controversial here and go and read more about the actual contract before talking as if I know what I'm on about. Different angle to many people I know, just trying it out.
Tbh, if you arrest Doctors, it will just inflame the situation. It will lead to the others striking. A lot of them are not going to strike simply because they can't be bothered to any longer. This will just aggravate them enough to take the next step.

I think the first strike will see a good turnout, but if that doesn't get anywhere I think then there will be a big upturn in scabbing for the October strike. With people already demoralised, a declaration the strike was illegal would probably end the November and December ones.

Hopefully it won't happen, the BMA may yet achieve what NACODS so nearly did, but I fear many will simply figure it's either easier to accept the contract or move abroad than to strike on.
Original post by kimkarsd
Sorry, but they earn a lot more than the average salary. It's just empty whining, and not realising how/why they get paid more, which is self-evident in your case.

I don't live in the UK. So, it doesn't make a difference to me what anyone gets paid.

I understand why. They are paid more because it is harder to become a Doctor. The average person who gets paid the average salary isn't intelligent enough to become a doctor.
Original post by Iron Bowl
I think the first strike will see a good turnout, but if that doesn't get anywhere I think then there will be a big upturn in scabbing for the October strike. With people already demoralised, a declaration the strike was illegal would probably end the November and December ones.

Hopefully it won't happen, the BMA may yet achieve what NACODS so nearly did, but I fear many will simply figure it's either easier to accept the contract or move abroad than to strike on.

Well, I agree with that. I don't anticipate a good turnout for the first strike. A lot of the Doctors can't be bothered to strike. They are going to end up doing the work at a later date anyway.
Original post by abc:)
Just gonna be controversial here and go and read more about the actual contract before talking as if I know what I'm on about. Different angle to many people I know, just trying it out.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: yaass
So, I can say Ecuador?

So just to clarify, you are trying to compare Ecuador to the UK? Could have chosen Germany, Ireland, Australia, Canada, even Japan, but you are going with Ecuador?
So just to clarify, you are trying to compare Ecuador to the UK??

It is simply a question. So, could I have chosen Ecuador?
It is simply a question. So, could I have chosen Ecuador?

Strictly speaking from the wording of my question yes, although I thought that it would be completely obvious to most that I would want a similar country as an example, which you have failed to supply.
Strictly speaking from the wording of my question yes, although I thought that it would be completely obvious to most that I would want a similar country as an example, which you have failed to supply.

Well, you started talking about it. Not me.
Well, you started talking about it. Not me.

You questioned my premise about the effectiveness of banning strikes, which does work.
You questioned my premise about the effectiveness of banning strikes, which does work.

No. I am talking about you bringing up Developed countries( aka changing you wrote) . No one else brought it up even though it was apparently "completely obvious".
(edited 7 years ago)
No. I am talking about you bringing up Developed countries( aka changing you wrote) . No one else brought it up even though it was apparently "completely obvious".

As it is so obvious, that to most people it doesn't need to be said. Life revolved around logical assumptions, it would take a long time to saw things otherwise.

You still haven't provided an example.
As it is so obvious, that to most people it doesn't need to be said.

It is so obvious that it doesn't need to be said......but you said it for no reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending