A-History
    A-Media
    B-Core science
    B-Additional science
    B- Further additional science
    B-I.C.T
    B-Graphics
    C-Spanish

At A-level this year I am taking Biology/Chemistry/Psychology and English Literature. (Also taking Russian GCSE on the side) and am predicted A*/A/A/A*

I am also signed up for multiple work experience placements home and abroad and medicine has always been my passion but I am so worried that I will not be accepted!

In reality do you think I have a shot at getting into Exeter???
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harleyquinnxx)
    In my GCSE's this year I received
    A*- English language
    A*- English literature
    A- Maths
    A-History
    A-Media
    B-Core science
    B-Additional science
    B- Further additional science
    B-I.C.T
    B-Graphics
    C-Spanish

At A-level this year I am taking Biology/Chemistry/Psychology and English Literature. (Also taking Russian GCSE on the side) and am predicted A*/A/A/A*

I am also signed up for multiple work experience placements home and abroad and medicine has always been my passion but I am so worried that I will not be accepted!

In reality do you think I have a shot at getting into Exeter???
    Thanks!
    Have you taken your UKCAT yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    Have you taken your UKCAT yet?
    Nope not yet but I'm predicted to get quite high, I've gotten good results in any practice tests and am still studying now for it.

ReputationRep:
    Nope not yet but I'm predicted to get quite high, I've gotten good results in any practice tests and am still studying now for it.
    See, until you do your UKCAT you won't really know how likely it is that uni's would take you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    See, until you do your UKCAT you won't really know how likely it is that uni's would take you.
    But say for example I did relatively well in the UCKAT what would be my chances? I'm worried that maybe my GCSE grades or my A-level choices might effect any placement?

ReputationRep:
    But say for example I did relatively well in the UCKAT what would be my chances? I'm worried that maybe my GCSE grades or my A-level choices might effect any placement?
    I don't really know much about Exeter but I applied to Med last year so I can tell you what I know.

Looking at your GCSE'S, Med candidates often have a high number of A/A*, that being said, it doesn't mean that uni's won't consider you, you'll just have to work a bit harder to get yourself to stand out. I would advise you not to apply to GCSE heavy uni's (e.g. oxford.)

As for your A levels, since you have both Biology and Chemistry I don't see much o a problem but again, check uni entry requirements to check in case they want you to do another science based subject such as Maths or Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, you can not predict how you will do in the UKCAT .. I was doing very well but on the day it was very different, and I flopped. Don't let your guard down!

Ps - I made it to an amazing med school with a pretty bad UKCAT and average / low GCSES and AS grades, so the answer is .. YES YOU CAN!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soLit)
    Trust me, you can not predict how you will do in the UKCAT .. I was doing very well but on the day it was very different, and I flopped. Don't let your guard down!

Ps - I made it to an amazing med school with a pretty bad UKCAT and average / low GCSES and AS grades, so the answer is .. YES YOU CAN!
    I definitely won't let my guard down! which med school did you apply to? What were your grades?

ReputationRep:
    why have you already started studying for the UKCAT...?

ReputationRep:
    I definitely won't let my guard down! which med school did you apply to? What were your grades?
    I applied to Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham and Leeds

I had 6A*'s 6A's at GCSE (Contextually for my school these are low)
    AABBC at AS
    637.5 avg (2550) on the UKCAT
    5.7, 4.3, 3A at the BMAT

I got offers from both Liverpool and Bristol. I got instantly rejected from Nottingham and Leeds for:
    Notts - Too low UKCAT and GCSE scores
    Leeds - AAA needed at AS really. Great BMAT tho

I ended up with A*AA at AS (A*EPQ) and am going to Bristol!

Basically, what I have learnt is the UKCAT, do it as soon as possible. I studied solidly for a month and got so tired and fed up by the end, I flunked the exam. the BMAT.. Good luck. I didn't do Maths / physics at A level and I found it very hard. I just guessed C and I seemed to do ok!

Grades only get you to interview. You only need to make the minimum grades to gain an interview too! So basically, don't stress bout grades. Read all the academic requirements, if you meet them, you will get an interview (or you will have a chance if they rank you). Once you get to interview, thats the real hard part. One of my closest friends, very clever, all A*GCSES, AAA at as and A*A*A* at A2, got 4 interview and almost 4 rejections.

Interviews really are the most important. I was lucky interviews were the part I was most confident with and loved the most!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    why have you already started studying for the UKCAT...?
    The sooner i can take the UKCAT the better and I really want to do well so the more I can study for it the better

ReputationRep:
    The sooner i can take the UKCAT the better and I really want to do well so the more I can study for it the better
    yes but you're a YEAR early.... pretty sure the UKCAT isn't something you start prepping for a year in advance

ReputationRep:
    yes but you're a YEAR early.... pretty sure the UKCAT isn't something you start prepping for a year in advance
    Agreed! For now, OP, focus on your A-Levels because those are essential, and you can't afford to do badly in those. Start studying for your UKCAT about a month in advance, starting off with an hour or so learning content, then integrate doing full practices and whatnot. Trust me, it's not worth studying for your UKCAT now.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Agreed (Now I feel so stupid for not realising haha)

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have similar stats to you. GCSE -6A*5A
    As-AAAA
    Predicted-Alevels-A*A*A*
    UKCAT-620

Where would you suggest applying?

Is exeter a good choice as I know that they rank you based on predicted grades.

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soLit)

I only got 660 where should I apply I got a feeling my AS went bad and also my GCSE's are average
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hdheimdnbf)
    I only got 660 where should I apply I got a feeling my AS went bad and also my GCSE's are average
    Best wait for your AS results. They determine your A-level predicted grades, which in turn will be a huge factor in determining your chances of getting into med school. If they didn't go well...i think everyone uses them to determine how to give out interviews, they just give different weighting, but if you aren't gonna be predicted 3A's (or equivalent for different universities), its going to be very difficult to persuade them in your application.

660 is a decent score, isn't it? Was back in my day, though this was like 5 years ago.

If you want to start ruling out some already, then based on GCSE's, I know Birmingham, Oxford/Cambridge and Durham look for really good GCSE's (7A*'s last time i checked for Birmingham, 5-6 for Oxbridge).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuentinM)
    Best wait for your AS results. They determine your A-level predicted grades, which in turn will be a huge factor in determining your chances of getting into med school. If they didn't go well...i think everyone uses them to determine how to give out interviews, they just give different weighting, but if you aren't gonna be predicted 3A's (or equivalent for different universities), its going to be very difficult to persuade them in your application.

660 is a decent score, isn't it? Was back in my day, though this was like 5 years ago.

If you want to start ruling out some already, then based on GCSE's, I know Birmingham, Oxford/Cambridge and Durham look for really good GCSE's (7A*'s last time i checked for Birmingham, 5-6 for Oxbridge).
    I believe I may be predicted 3A's as my college know about extenuating circumstances but 660 is very average compared to everyone on TSR
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hdheimdnbf)
    I believe I may be predicted 3A's as my college know about extenuating circumstances but 660 is very average compared to everyone on TSR
    Well i found that too, I got 680 one year i think....and everyone on TSR seemed to do as well if not better. I still got two interviews at two universities who use UKCAT as one of their main factors.

If you are predicted 3 A's but dont have the AS grades to back that up they might not believe the predicted grades, so check your college mentions extenuating circumstances in their reference for you.

EDIT-some of this stuff hasnt been updated, but should give you an idea of how 660 might actually be good enough for many universities
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik..._is_it_used.3F

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soLit)

Hello 😌How did you do on your UKCAT And where did you apply???

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.