Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Motivation When Not Seeing Progress? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been losing a lot of weight recently and I'm happy with it, but for the last month or so I've been stuck around the same area and no matter what I try it won't budge. I've tried exercising more often, changing the type of exercise, changing my diet more, none seem to have any kind of significant difference.

I've also had a problem where I can't really see the difference in the mirror (I know for a fact I've lost a lot of weight visually, people tell me I have without knowing I'm trying to lose weight and my clothes are smaller now) but when I look at myself I feel like I look the same as before.
    Not sure if it's some kind of subtle BDD or just because I still generally have all the same curves as before so it's hard to tell, but I honestly can't look at myself and think 'look at how much better I look'.
    Tbh, I think I'm more critical of my appearance now than when I was bigger.

So does anyone know what I can do to try and break this plateau and get motivated again?
    I'm scared I'm going to end up giving up and putting it all back on at some point.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My original motivational points/goals were:
    - Get to a ''healthy'' BMI (I'm like 2-5kg out from the top number depending on the day; that is the area I'm stuck in)
    - Get to a 'small' dress size (I'm a 10/12 now, so I'd still like to bring that down a little bit, maybe to a 8/10 but honestly I don't mind where I'm at)
    - I didn't like the idea of being unattractive simply because of my size, because no matter how much you say 'all sizes are beautiful' I get approached way more now than I used to.

So although I haven't completely reached all of them, sometimes I feel like pushing forward isn't worth the time and effort when I have other things going on.

ReputationRep:
    This could all depend on where you're at with your weight/fat loss, as the more you trim down the harder the body finds it to remove fatty tissue from the body. It may actually be worth checking your fat percentage, either using calipers (about £2 on eBay) or google image searching female fat percentage and just guesstimating from there. As for breaking through the plateau, this is quite hard. Try a cheat day, as that can prevent your body from getting used to a low calorie intake. There are also methods like intermittent fasting + cardio which I've found to really punch through a plateau.

I know it's hard, but don't get obsessed with results or judging based on the mirror, you really don't want body dismorphia. Although It's kind of in the same vein, try taking a picture of your body each day, compare them and you can start to see the changes a lot clearer as their is a comparison. I've seen this done with body builders who get the same problem, but with muscle growth. Don't give up though, keep going, there are stumbling blocks in any part of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    I've been losing a lot of weight recently and I'm happy with it, but for the last month or so I've been stuck around the same area and no matter what I try it won't budge. I've tried exercising more often, changing the type of exercise, changing my diet more, none seem to have any kind of significant difference.

I've also had a problem where I can't really see the difference in the mirror (I know for a fact I've lost a lot of weight visually, people tell me I have without knowing I'm trying to lose weight and my clothes are smaller now) but when I look at myself I feel like I look the same as before.
    Not sure if it's some kind of subtle BDD or just because I still generally have all the same curves as before so it's hard to tell, but I honestly can't look at myself and think 'look at how much better I look'.
    Tbh, I think I'm more critical of my appearance now than when I was bigger.

So does anyone know what I can do to try and break this plateau and get motivated again?
    I'm scared I'm going to end up giving up and putting it all back on at some point.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My original motivational points/goals were:
    - Get to a ''healthy'' BMI (I'm like 2-5kg out from the top number depending on the day; that is the area I'm stuck in)
    - Get to a 'small' dress size (I'm a 10/12 now, so I'd still like to bring that down a little bit, maybe to a 8/10 but honestly I don't mind where I'm at)
    - I didn't like the idea of being unattractive simply because of my size, because no matter how much you say 'all sizes are beautiful' I get approached way more now than I used to.

So although I haven't completely reached all of them, sometimes I feel like pushing forward isn't worth the time and effort when I have other things going on.
    Look back at progress pictures preferably at the same time, same lighting.
    Take measurements and also remember your body will look different throughout the day.

ReputationRep:
    do it because you enjoy it once it becomes a chore for you you're doing it all wrong, so try other forms of exercise

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.