Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it possible to catch chicken pox with out direct contact? Watch

ReputationRep:
    my son has two little lumps that look like they have clear fluid stuff in (they look like the second picture) but he hasnt been touched or touched anyone with chicken pox :/

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    It's an airborne disease, so he could have catched it unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    It's an airborne disease, so he could have catched it unfortunately
    oh thats sucky i thought you could only get it if u was touched/sneezed on by someone with an outbreak or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    oh thats sucky i thought you could only get it if u was touched/sneezed on by someone with an outbreak or something
    Unfortunately not
    If he does have it I hope he gets better soon!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately not
    If he does have it I hope he gets better soon!
    wouldnt there be more then just the two?

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt there be more then just the two?
    When did you first notice them?
    It is possible he doesn't have chickenpox, but they can develop throughout the day

ReputationRep:
    When did you first notice them?
    It is possible he doesn't have chickenpox, but they can develop throughout the day
    only noticed today but he did have aa huge influx of spots all over his face (looked like normal spots) and i thought maybe it was the bugs in the air (the backdoor has been open - hot days) and most seem to have subsided now and then these two pop up

ReputationRep:
    only noticed today but he did have aa huge influx of spots all over his face (looked like normal spots) and i thought maybe it was the bugs in the air (the backdoor has been open - hot days) and most seem to have subsided now and then these two pop up
    Has he been uncomfortable? If not then it probably isn't chicken pox, I remember scratching myself nearly to death when I had them. All I can say is keep an eye out, as what you're describing is similar to my brother who had a few spots appear but then they went away with no discomfort, and if this is the case then it's unlikely to be chickenpox.

Although uncomfortable, chickenpox isn't normally at all serious and it's better to get them at a young age than as an adult

ReputationRep:
    Has he been uncomfortable? If not then it probably isn't chicken pox, I remember scratching myself nearly to death when I had them. All I can say is keep an eye out, as what you're describing is similar to my brother who had a few spots appear but then they went away with no discomfort, and if this is the case then it's unlikely to be chickenpox.

Although uncomfortable, chickenpox isn't normally at all serious and it's better to get them at a young age than as an adult
    its been grumpy, hard to amuse, of his food a bit and quite sleepy.
    there are no drs appointments today but do you think the pharmacy could diagnose it?

ReputationRep:
    its been grumpy, hard to amuse, of his food a bit and quite sleepy.
    there are no drs appointments today but do you think the pharmacy could diagnose it?
    Hmm it does sound like it could be then. Some children get lots of spots and others get barely any.

Unfortunately the pharmacy is likely to just tell you to get a GP appointment, as they're not allowed to formally diagnose anything. I'm assuming there will be appointments tomorrow? Unfortunately you're just going to have to try then

Have you taken his temperature? If it's 38 degrees or higher then it is likely he has it

ReputationRep:
    Hmm it does sound like it could be then. Some children get lots of spots and others get barely any.

Unfortunately the pharmacy is likely to just tell you to get a GP appointment, as they're not allowed to formally diagnose anything. I'm assuming there will be appointments tomorrow? Unfortunately you're just going to have to try then

Have you taken his temperature? If it's 38 degrees or higher then it is likely he has it
    ah thats crap. il have to ring at 8am in the morning but they go so quickly :/
    not yet. i probably should lol he doesnt feel hot

ReputationRep:
    ah thats crap. il have to ring at 8am in the morning but they go so quickly :/
    not yet. i probably should lol he doesnt feel hot
    Yeah it's taken me three days to get an appointment where I live haha

Just double check
    If he seems in pain or you think it is chicken pox, then its not treatable in the sense of curing it - normally just paracetamol is adviced for the pain, and some kind of cooling ointment for the itching if needs be

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's taken me three days to get an appointment where I live haha

Just double check
    If he seems in pain or you think it is chicken pox, then its not treatable in the sense of curing it - normally just paracetamol is adviced for the pain, and some kind of cooling ointment for the itching if needs be
    great thankyou

ReputationRep:
    great thankyou
    No problem, hope he's better soon!

ReputationRep:
    No problem, hope he's better soon!
    thankyou!
    took him to pharmasist (i rung and checked first) and she said it looks like chicken pox but its weird how his not been in contact with anyone to catch it

ReputationRep:
    thankyou!
    took him to pharmasist (i rung and checked first) and she said it looks like chicken pox but its weird how his not been in contact with anyone to catch it
    Does he go to nursery or anything? Someone may have been ill with it without knowing :dontknow:

It's good that they let you know! Down here our pharmacists aren't as helpful haha

ReputationRep:
    Does he go to nursery or anything? Someone may have been ill with it without knowing :dontknow:

It's good that they let you know! Down here our pharmacists aren't as helpful haha
    nope, his with me all the time as his only 1 :/
    there helpful here lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.