civil service competency questions Watch

abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Edit - it's been pointed out that I am trying to use someone else's example for my application. I am NOT! I don't want these examples so I can use them, I want them so I can see if my own examples, from my own experience, are along the right lines or way off what they should be.

I've been applying for jobs in the Civil Service and noticed that many or most of the applications require you to answer competency based questions against the civil service competencies.

Examples: Managing a quality service, Delivering at pace, etc.

The questions ask you to describe a time when you have done this. For example describe a time when you have managed a quality service.

Can anyone provide a model, fake, answer for one of these? I've been trying to use STAR (situation, task, action, result) but I'm not sure if the actual examples I'm using are appropriate.

For Managing a quality service, I used an example of when I delivered a workshop and adapted the activities to suit the diversity of the group.

tldr: 'describe a time when you have managed a quality service' - can someone help me to answer this using a fake scenario as an example
Mega0448
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're basically asking to copy someone else's competency, which is pretty poor form.*

Whilst I don't agree with this thread I'll say that if you're applying for a HO role that example to start with isn't a good enough subject. I'd suggest thinking of something else which has a wider reaching impact, rather than just 'amended for my audience'.*
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mega0448)
You're basically asking to copy someone else's competency, which is pretty poor form.*

Whilst I don't agree with this thread I'll say that if you're applying for a HO role that example to start with isn't a good enough subject. I'd suggest thinking of something else which has a wider reaching impact, rather than just 'amended for my audience'.*
I'm not, whatsoever. That's why I specifically want it to be a made up example. I would still use an example from my own life, I know I have the experience for the roles I'm applying for, but I would know which ones to pick as right now with some of the questions it isn't clear for me.

I'm not applying for a HO role though.

What do you mean by wider reaching impact?
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Have you seen the competency framework for your job grades you are applying to? They are in the public domain and are fairly easy to find.

Each competency has negative and positive indicators (or as they call them effective and ineffective behaviours) attached to them, so it is all about trying to demonstrate the positive indicators in your answers.

Edit: found a link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...3-2017_v2d.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, yes I have been using this
Harrym171
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I am cuurently applying for a role as an admin officer at Bristol. However, i am having difficulty figuring out examples for 'seeing the bigger picture' & 'making effective decisions'. I require some examples that reflect these competencies, as i am finding it difficult to reflect such examples by just looking at the framework.

Thanks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Harrym171)
Hi, I am cuurently applying for a role as an admin officer at Bristol. However, i am having difficulty figuring out examples for 'seeing the bigger picture' & 'making effective decisions'. I require some examples that reflect these competencies, as i am finding it difficult to reflect such examples by just looking at the framework.

Thanks
Hi, no idea about seeing the bigger picture but for making effective decisions I spoke about when I interviewed someone once and how I went about deliberating. It could be an example like you had a customer query and had to decide whether to solve it yourself, how to solve it, whether to escalate it, etc.

What department are you applying for?
Harrym171
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im applying for a HMRC border agency role. I have made an example for making an effective decision. Something on the lines of supporting a project and whether to make amendments to spreadsheets and gathering information. Even though management had told me not to. I still wasnt satisfied with the project as information which was missing was showing level of problems at a lower level which needed to be fixed. Hope that works 🤔🤔
Harrym171
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To be honest with you i did have another example of when i had to report someone due to data protection and i had to make an effective decision of whether to or not to. But i hope the other one works
Saoirseach1981
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Guys, I applied for a HEO position and had an interview two weeks ago, which went OK (I think). They said they would let us know if successful (or not!) within 2-3 weeks. The wait is excruciating, as I would like to know whether or not I need to invest more time into looking for other positions, completing applications, writing cover letters etc., which is a huge (but necessary) distraction from my PhD thesis.... any news, advice or information you might have would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
dreamscape23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just worth a mention if you haven't already sussed this but the best examples are ones that allow you to demonstrate as many of the behaviors contained with the competency. The framework lists these behaviors.
Sunnydayz100
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
can I ask what way do they acc word the question?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.8%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.97%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.12%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.1%

Watched Threads