Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Same goes for all foreign words.

Like we say "Milan" whereas the Italians call it "Milano". Why don't we just say Milano?

I mean, do the French call New York, Nouveau York?

Makes no sense to me. I highly doubt there is a French word for Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    Why do the French call London Londres?really ! i didn't know that ............... maybe it's because of their accent ? or different language ?

ReputationRep:
    Good question.

+
    Lisbon
    Munich
    Rome
    Turin
    Naples

ReputationRep:
    Germany calling Germany 'Deutschland'

I'd rather call it Deutschland too, sounds better

(Original post by Trinculo)
    Same goes for all foreign words.

Like we say "Milan" whereas the Italians call it "Milano". Why don't we just say Milano?

I mean, do the French call New York, Nouveau York?

Makes no sense to me. I highly doubt there is a French word for Leicester.
    That's just because of the accent :lol:
    No there is no French word for Leicester, neither New York, we tend to say "Nouillorc" tho lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    That's just because of the accent :lol:
    No there is no French word for Leicester, neither New York, we tend to say "Nouillorc" tho lol
    If it were just because of the accent, why is it spelled "Londres"?

If it were just because of the accent, why is it spelled "Londres"?
    What I meant is that when French 1st used the word Londres to name London it was ages ago when London was called Londinium by the Romans
    And it turned out that the French were not able to hear properly the word "London" , it's pretty hard to understand the sound "on" after a d when you're French and not used to English

Besides in our language the pronounciation never includes 2 closive consonant next to each other, that's why they had to choose a simple way to pronounce London, and chose Londres. The S seems to be a mistake, there is not really an explanation about it, but it's a silent S anyway (like in Douvres, to name Dover)

ReputationRep:
    What I meant is that when French 1st used the word Londres to name London it was ages ago when London was called Londinium by the Romans
    And it turned out that the French were not able to hear properly the word "London" , it's pretty hard to understand the sound "on" after a d when you're French and not used to English

Besides in our language the pronounciation never includes 2 closive consonant next to each other, that's why they had to choose a simple way to pronounce London, and chose Londres. The S seems to be a mistake, there is not really an explanation about it, but it's a silent S anyway (like in Douvres, to name Dover)
    Pardon?

Pardon?
    ._. TL;DR : it's because of the accent.

ReputationRep:
    ._. TL;DR : it's because of the accent.
    It was rhetorical.

If it's difficult for French people to hear "on" after "d", they don't seem to have problem with the "pardon" word.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why do we call trees trees?Why do we call things names?
    Why do we exist?Bruh don't go there :hand:

It was rhetorical.

If it's difficult for French people to hear "on" after "d", they don't seem to have problem with the "pardon" word.
    There's no problem precisely because we don't pronounce it the same way.

(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Why do we call trees trees?Why do we call things names?
    Why do we exist?Bruh don't go there :hand:
    :lol: :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's no problem precisely because we don't pronounce it the same way.

:lol: :lol:
    PRSOM :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Typically other languages only translate capital/major cities in other countries, not every single city as that is just too tedious.

There are always historical linguistic reasons for such pronunciations though.
    --
    I'd say the many names for "Germany" is more interesting as it all depended on what tribe the countries encountered first usually.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.