Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey so I am 16 years old and am considering applying for the Army Officer Scholarship Scheme.

Just wondering if anyone else here is considering applying and I have a few questions for anyone who is perhaps familiar with the process or has been through it themselves.

When is the deadline for applying? The Army website says you can apply from today onwards but doesn't seem to give any deadline or end date.

How competitive is the scholarship? I should imagine that it is incredibly hard to get a place on.

What sort of things could I strengthen my application with in terms of extra-curriculars and things that demonstrate my suitability to be an Army Officer? I was Head Boy of my school, attend a sailing club of which I am a member of the Junior board, been a part of a debating society in my old school, etc. would these be suitable?

Are my GCSEs good enough: 5A* 4A and a B in comparison with what the rest of the applicants will have?

Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've applied for this scholarship as well, I applied just after I got my results and then I've filled out a medical form and things like that. It seems like quite a long process so I'd get started as soon as you can. Once you've applied they send you an information sheet with stuff you can do to improve your application. Obviously as I haven't done this before I can't help with what to expect, but I'd be interested to know what everyone else has to say, especially with the recent change in format of the scholarship

Edited to add: I got 7A* 3A and 2 B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enidblytonlife)
    Hey, I've applied for this scholarship as well, I applied just after I got my results and then I've filled out a medical form and things like that. It seems like quite a long process so I'd get started as soon as you can. Once you've applied they send you an information sheet with stuff you can do to improve your application. Obviously as I haven't done this before I can't help with what to expect, but I'd be interested to know what everyone else has to say, especially with the recent change in format of the scholarship

Edited to add: I got 7A* 3A and 2 B
    Ah another applicant! Yeah I had better get my application in pretty soon.
    Thanks for the reply and good luck with the rest of the process! Perhaps I will see you at the selection board next year

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.