The Student Room Group

Why do people want a "high 2:1"?

I understand why people want to aim for a first or a 2:1 (I'm aiming for a first myself, so I totally get it), but why do people say they want a "high 2:1"? What difference does it make? Your degree certificate will say you got a 2:1, it won't say if your 2:1 was any higher than anyone else's or " so and so got a high 2:1, but they were close to a first so that's cool."

If you're aiming for a high 2:1, is it just a personal goal or do you actually think it makes a difference? Also, if you're aiming for a high 2:1, why aren't you aiming for a first? (that wasn't supposed to sound rude, but I just don't really understand why anyone would want to aim for a high 2:1 but not high enough for a first?)

And yes, I'm aware of how much of a dick this post makes me sound.

Scroll to see replies

Some employers will look at your transcripts and you can put your % on your CV and so in either case you may be slightly advantaged.
I know that for top universities a high 2:1 is the prerequisite for postgraduate courses.
Reply 3
Original post by GoingToBurst
I understand why people want to aim for a first or a 2:1 (I'm aiming for a first myself, so I totally get it), but why do people say they want a "high 2:1"? What difference does it make? Your degree certificate will say you got a 2:1, it won't say if your 2:1 was any higher than anyone else's or " so and so got a high 2:1, but they were close to a first so that's cool."

If you're aiming for a high 2:1, is it just a personal goal or do you actually think it makes a difference? Also, if you're aiming for a high 2:1, why aren't you aiming for a first? (that wasn't supposed to sound rude, but I just don't really understand why anyone would want to aim for a high 2:1 but not high enough for a first?)

Very few employers will ask for a "high 2:1", but some universities do as a minimum for some masters courses.

And perhaps some people see it as a more realistic personal goal rather than a First.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks guys! Hadn't even thought about postgrad applications, sorry!
To make themselves feel better for not being academically good enough to get a first
Good question op. In years to come all that will be relevant is the final grade because for the majority of all sorts of applications, nobody asks for a breakdown of marks. Even for masters degree entry.
Plenty of employers ask for a breakdown, so its first among equals territory. Whether they ask for one or not its obvious who you will be competing with and that your marks will be one of the factors they consider when comparing you with other candidates.
Reply 8
Most postgrad courses want a "good" undergrad degree (which means 2:1)
Reply 9

Some employers, or HE institutes if you are doing a postgraduate course, will want to look at your degree transcript, so it helps to have good and balanced grades.

It might also be a personal goal.

Another reason might be that if you aim for a high 2.1 and achieve this early on with certain exams and pieces of coursework, then there is less pressure on you so when it comes to final exams and results day you aren't wondering and worrying whether you've hit 60%.
I always feel it's best to aim for a First, or whatever the best result is for whatever course you might be studying.

I mean sure, you might not necessarily get it, not everyone is the type of person who gets top grades in everything. But surely you can at least aim for it? Wouldn't you end up doing better if you're studying and working hard enough in an attempt to get the top grade, than if you're satisfied with a lower grade before you've even sat your exams?
Because of the English grading system where 10% can make a world of difference. In general 2:1 tends to be the general cut-off point to most masters and grad schemes, but 1st would be lot to ask for. Therefore with high 2:1 one asks for excellent student but not stellar one necessarily.

If you start screening at 70%+ you have significantly smaller pool and less to choose from. To many places good grades are not enough and to those they also want to know about your work experience and personality etc
On TSR, there used to be a massive circlejerk of people claiming a 2:1 is better than a first since it shows you have people skills.
Original post by jneill
Very few employers will ask for a "high 2:1", but some universities do as a minimum for some masters courses.

Many law firms explicitly stipulate a preference for a high/good 2:1, and even those that don't will, ceteris paribus, prefer a candidate with a high 2:1 over a low 2:1.

This is just for City law firms, though.
Original post by HaramiSalami
On TSR, there used to be a massive circlejerk of people claiming a 2:1 is better than a first since it shows you have people skills.

Anyone who says this is pissed that they couldn't get a first imo. A girl in my classes tries to put me down for being on track for a first saying that her sister in recruitment would never hire me because a first implies lack of people skills. She seems to think that getting a 2:1 will automatically put her ahead of me, but I've done multiple internships, held down part time jobs throughout uni, do volunteer work on a regular basis, partake in sports and have received two scholarships. I'm not saying I'm guaranteed any job I apply for, but I'm also confident enough with my cv to know that my degree classification will not be a turn off to recruiters.
Original post by HaramiSalami

that's literally *******s (at least as far as law firms are concerned).

Spoiler

Original post by lawyer3c
that's literally *******s (at least as far as law firms are concerned).

Spoiler

It's part of the weird millennial circlejerk where people assume clever people have no social skills and that people with no social skills must generally be geniuses i.e. male snowflaking.

Anyone who says this is pissed that they couldn't get a first imo. A girl in my classes tries to put me down for being on track for a first saying that her sister in recruitment would never hire me because a first implies lack of people skills. She seems to think that getting a 2:1 will automatically put her ahead of me, but I've done multiple internships, held down part time jobs throughout uni, do volunteer work on a regular basis, partake in sports and have received two scholarships. I'm not saying I'm guaranteed any job I apply for, but I'm also confident enough with my cv to know that my degree classification will not be a turn off to recruiters.

Exactly right, she needs to stfu and show some respect.
Reply 17
Original post by lawyer3c
Many law firms explicitly stipulate a preference for a high/good 2:1, and even those that don't will, ceteris paribus, prefer a candidate with a high 2:1 over a low 2:1.

This is just for City law firms, though.

You don't need to latin me.

Cheers.
Original post by jneill
You don't need to latin me.

Cheers.

touchy
Unless you want to do a masters then a 69 makes no difference to a 60.

Quick Reply

Latest