Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's my educational life story, sorry!! haha

I'm currently doing my BA Hons in Illustration, and I love it but I feel that I would be more suited into a healthcare role. So once i've finished this course I want to look into Nursing, I'm especially interested in Mental Health and the Art Therapies side.

I have already worked in Health and Social care before, looking after disabled / special needs people and children and worked in childcare. I loved my time there and everyone there, and I loved that I was helping someone.

I also love Art, hence why I finished up my college art course and part time care work to do Illustration at BA level. Unfortunately, Illustration work is on and off and ends up being a career you do only part time (at the most). I would love to get into Mental Health Nursing once I've finished... But I don't want to travel to another uni again, I have maths at D grade though. I read on NHS careers, it doesnt matter too much, as there's Access to nursing courses.

Theres also a NHS university trust where from I'm from (lancaster), where you study and train up at same time...

Some advice please, feel abit lost. Don't know where to start applying, or best route into it...

Thank you and hope this makes sense haah! xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi!! I love the whole art therapy. I did a giant essay on it in my last degree it's so interesting and there's tons on it....which I never would of thought. Anyway!.....as far as the applying for nursing goes I had to have maths....with or without access maths was a must. So I had to re sit it (was like a full year of mental torture) but worth it because I got in. I'm doing adult nursing though. As far as this working while you train I'm not sure if that means a secondment (where you are a hca then your get seconded by your trust to do nursing) or if it's the new nursing associate role that's slowing coming in (abit like an AP but they say youl progress into nursing degree this way). But again I'd still imagine you'd need your GCSE maths unfortunately. Best thing to do is ring the unis your are interested in and find out what options you have with the maths situation. Also GCSE is English is usually required as well as access....but again double check! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wbnurse)
    Hi!! I love the whole art therapy. I did a giant essay on it in my last degree it's so interesting and there's tons on it....which I never would of thought. Anyway!.....as far as the applying for nursing goes I had to have maths....with or without access maths was a must. So I had to re sit it (was like a full year of mental torture) but worth it because I got in. I'm doing adult nursing though. As far as this working while you train I'm not sure if that means a secondment (where you are a hca then your get seconded by your trust to do nursing) or if it's the new nursing associate role that's slowing coming in (abit like an AP but they say youl progress into nursing degree this way). But again I'd still imagine you'd need your GCSE maths unfortunately. Best thing to do is ring the unis your are interested in and find out what options you have with the maths situation. Also GCSE is English is usually required as well as access....but again double check! Good luck

Thank you soo much!! I'm looking at the Access to Nursing course a lot and reading into it and I'm definitely going to go for it once I finish my BA, the course from looking at (distance learning centre) does have maths and english included in it to get brushed up on. It is just maths but I'm still gonna go for it and get it done!! I'm soo excited, do you have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin345)
    Thank you soo much!! I'm looking at the Access to Nursing course a lot and reading into it and I'm definitely going to go for it once I finish my BA, the course from looking at (distance learning centre) does have maths and english included in it to get brushed up on. It is just maths but I'm still gonna go for it and get it done!! I'm soo excited, do you have any advice?
    Is it GCSE level you gain though? Because most university's will only take GCSE to be honest. If so you can also do distant learning maths that's what I did

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.