Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student20077)
    u have been conned big time. i earned much more than u in my placement at lehmans. anyway if u get a job in poor towns like east anglia u shud expect that amount as its for lower class people
    i'm from east anglia and i find it offensive to be referred to as being from a 'poor town' or being a 'lower class' person. :mad: anyone find this insulting? and also untrue?

i think the core salary for big four in B-ham is roughly a minimum of £15000, and in Cambs £18k so considering this is not a big 4 firm or even in the top 10, i think £13k is ok. you have to remember as well, in the smaller/rural areas, the cost of living and travel is seriously lower than london, so people saying they will be earning more than double what you have must also consider the higher cost of living in the central areas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    i'm from east anglia and i find it offensive to be referred to as being from a 'poor town' or being a 'lower class' person. :mad: anyone find this insulting? and also untrue?

i think the core salary for big four in B-ham is roughly a minimum of £15000, and in Cambs £18k so considering this is not a big 4 firm or even in the top 10, i think £13k is ok. you have to remember as well, in the smaller/rural areas, the cost of living and travel is seriously lower than london, so people saying they will be earning more than double what you have must also consider the higher cost of living in the central areas
    What you say is true, and i did not mean to gloat in anyway. 13k may well be the going rate but i percieve that as a low salary. However, it doesnt really matter what i think as its just my opinion and its neither here or there.

I will say one thing though, i doubt the cost of living is proportionally indicative of the salary. I mean surely the cost of living in Reading for example is not 100% more than in E.Anglia (doesnt have to be rural btw, the firm could be in Ipswich, Norwich etc)

ReputationRep:
    Ipswich and Norwich are still considered rural towns. There is simply not the same level of business in these areas. You can count the number of businesses that turnover more than £250mill in norfolk on one hand, compare that to Reading which will have literally dozens.

Cost of living in Reading is infact probably MORE than double that in East Anglia so take that into consideration before you start getting all smug.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your help - i actually tried negotiating but basically they did say that im not really offering them anything and that i am basically useless until i get some qualifications.

i had a think about it and actually turned the offer down partly because of the salary, partly because of the location and practicaluty of getting there and also because they are a small firm and i wasnt too sure what the job prospects would be in such a small firm compared to a medium sized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woodtable780)
    thanks for your help - i actually tried negotiating but basically they did say that im not really offering them anything and that i am basically useless until i get some qualifications.

i had a think about it and actually turned the offer down partly because of the salary, partly because of the location and practicaluty of getting there and also because they are a small firm and i wasnt too sure what the job prospects would be in such a small firm compared to a medium sized.
    Very understandable, it was a low salary,

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.