Turn on thread page Beta

Going out with a jewish girll.... advice please! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harpy)
    Belief in G-d, while a Jewish contribution, is by no means a Jewish monopoly. All of mankind ought to believe in G-d, and, as a matter of fact, Judaism encourages it. There is no exclusive "Jewish belief" in G-d--there is the One G-d in whom Jews believe and teach all others to believe.

In addition, G-d gave the Torah, with its 613 Mitzvot, to the Jewish People. However, He also gave the non-Jewish peoples a parallel moral code: the Seven Noahide Laws. He expects every (non-Jewish) human being and society to live by these.

The seven general categories of the Code are: 1) Not to murder; 2) Not to steal; 3) Not to commit adultery or incest; 4) Not to blaspheme; 5) Not to eat the limb of a live animal; 6) Not to worship idols; and 7) To establish a system of justice.
    The Sages tell us that a non-Jew who fulfills these laws can anticipate much reward in the World-to-Come1. Therefore, there is no need for a non-Jew to convert to Judaism in order for him or her to enjoy a personal relationship with G-d.

If, however, a non-Jew wishes to convert to Judaism, he or she can do so by going through the same process that the Jewish People went through when they became Jews2 , namely: 1) Circumcision (in the case of males); 2) Immersion in the Mikvah for the sake of conversion; and 3) Accepting to fulfill all 613 Mitzvot in their entirety.3 All of this must be done in the presence of an authentic Rabbinical Court.

But regardless of religion, we are all on "Team G-d," and the "sport" we are "playing" is making this world a better place. In Judaism, there's no human being who has no place, purpose or importance.

---taken from askmoses.com

Go team!
    I'm not sure how much your being simplistic for my benefit here, but I'd contend that view on several fronts.

1. If you read avoda zara, you'll see that the christian representation of god would be considered idolatrous. Muslims would probably get under the radar, as they don't see mohammed as anything more than a prophet.

2. The process of conversion, whilst sounding simple, is anything but. Obviously reform/conservative movement will twist the laws etc, but for an orthodox conversion, you're gonna go through a process of many years!

3. The Noachide laws don't really apply as you've portrayed them :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harpy)
    And Samba-- I took all that stuff from askmoses.com, which is a Rabbi-written site. I don't know enough about the Noahide laws to comment, but i figured one's average Rabbi does. Is it not accurate?
    It's not really very relevant to anything these days, although I guess its fairly good pr

I'm guessing you're not orthodox!

Alrighty peeps, that's enough spam. Can we get back on topic please?

ReputationRep:
    metropolitan - if youre ignorant about something dont comment on it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow i really didnt expect this many people to reply lol!!!

well in all honesty, im not converting, though i may not be a religious fanatic, i still believe in what i believe, and i've grown up with it. Same reason why she wouldnt convert.

But anyway, I agree that i should talk to her, the whole problem is that im not goin to see her till 7 september, so im not really looking forward to the phone call

Also, may i just say it's not like ive not TRIED to fit in around the family, ill wear a skull cap at friday night dinner, eat the bread and drink the wine etc.

Im a quite tolerant person, i am perfectly fine with anyones beliefs in all reality, and i personally believe that one's religion is a personal thing, and should affect themselves and themselves only (which of course is never going to happen). I just find it stupid, when religion crosses "lines" (such as politics) and goes into other parts of society, just ****s everything up lol.

So i'll have that chat with her, i know her and she'll say that religion is nothing to do with it regardless of the real answer.

I just really wanna go and shout at her parents to be honest

Thank you all for your help, any more is obviously appreciated

Alex

ReputationRep:
    I completely and utterly understand how you feel. Im a Christian girl, and my boyfriend is an orthodox jew, and i feel like my religion has to sacrifice for his in certain situations. I have complete respect for his religion, ive learnt quite a lot about it , i just keep seeing situations where his parents are putting him in the position of being around lots of jewish girls , and they want him to go out with a jewsih girl, although they do get along with me and his parents completely respect me and stuff. I just feel like a completely inadequate idiot when they talk about jewish stuff i.e him going on the israel tour or religious holidays . I completely respect it, but they dont show any interest in my religion, they dont ask me anything about that, its all just completely one sided. PM me if you want to talk x

ReputationRep:
    2bh I think if your gf knew from the start that she could not get serious with you, then why did she not explain it? I think your gf needs to stop dragging you along and just make a choice- to be serious with you and hope the family adapts or leaves you to make her family happy!

I am a Jewish female, and would not date a non-Jew as my family would not be happy. Therefore, when I used to hang around with non-Jewish males, I would explain my situation in order for them to not get the wrong idea (now I have a bf, I don't have to explain anymore). If it was not for my family I would see no problem in dating non-Jewish males, as I am not a religious person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billbonesknowswhatimean)
    haha, its like Montajews & Capulets
    hahahahahaha that's funny! good one.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I sympathise. Fortunately for me I'm a Christian with an atheist girlfriend, and I've found it to be acceptable within Christianity, however nevertheless I went through the panic of the "religion versus girlfriend" phase.

However it's all very well and good for Mr Christian [aka me] to retell his life story from his perfect castle ontop of a hill, but it will do little to help you in your situation.

The truth is, because she's Jewish then you are faced with a real "religion versus girlfriend" dilema [like I was], and it's up to her to make that decision [unfortunately, unlike for me, the relationship is not combatible with the religion]. It may sound unhelpful and harsh, but that's my opinion. I can sympathise while sitting in my castle.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2007
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.