Accounting and Finance vs Economics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
'Related majors'

Post a link?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it was on indeed.com
maybe a US firm idk but it was in UK
So the grade is the fundamental factor? (ignoring whether you enjoy it or not)
Original post by Ze Witcher
So the grade is the fundamental factor? (ignoring whether you enjoy it or not)

Yes. And in specific roles at specific companies (front office IB, some consulting, some law etc), the uni.

But that's just to pass the sniff test, everything else on your CV will matter much more after that, not to mention your ability to traverse all the tests, interviews and group exercises..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. And in specific roles at specific companies (front office IB, some consulting, some law etc), the uni.

But that's just to pass the sniff test, everything else on your CV will matter much more after that, not to mention your ability to traverse all the tests, interviews and group exercises..

Posted from TSR Mobile

So say if I start Uni in a year or two, I should potentially join societies and stand out as much as possible with responsibility and stuff? And what is consulting? I see this everywhere :smile:
So say if I start Uni in a year or two, I should potentially join societies and stand out as much as possible with responsibility and stuff? And what is consulting? I see this everywhere :smile:

Yes.

Google is your friend, for the second one. Consulting has different branches: IT, strategy, management and operational. At its core, it is giving out advice and solving problems.*
Original post by Dervo
I've recently just finished my AS exams this summer, achieving an AABB in Economics, English Literature, Maths and Government & Politics respectively, and I have now got to decide the course and universities to apply for in the coming months.

I'm interested in working in the finance sector when I'm older, perhaps in Investment Banking or Accountancy, however I am unsure of the course which would be best for me. Realistically, I could maybe get offers for universities such as Exeter, Manchester, Loughborough, etc... for Economics, but for Accounting and Finance, as the grade requirements are often significantly lower, I could potentially get offers from likes of Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, etc...

Taking into consideration, that Investment Banks have specific target universities they recruit from, and that working in IB when I am older may be something I would like to do, which course would best help me get into that field, or in fact the finance field as a whole? Economics is arguably a more traditional and more preferred subject, and so would A&F be looked down upon?

Course-wise, it doesn't particularly matter. the modules that you study in both degrees are pretty similar (the A&F guys at my Uni do macro and micro in 1st year) and both have about an equal chance of breaking you into IB. Anyone who tells you A&F isn't respected is chatting absolute shite, its fine.

Pick the course that you want to do most and make sure you get the grades for it. Bump up your CV, and learn how to nail the interviews/Assessment Centres, and you're sorted.
Original post by Dervo
I actually looked into the course you are doing, the I&FRM at Cass, but I dont know if the course is too narrow for me. What do you make of the course as a whole? I hear that the university is mainly praised for its postgraduate degrees as opposed to its undergraduate...

it's useful information to know, it's very practical.. and I've found the course content to be very helpful in making me stand out
Is anyone in this thread at Uni now? I have a non-related question to ask :smile:

Go for it, will try to help.
Hi, Hijacking this post wondering if anyone can give me overview of the differences between an accounting and finance and economics degree in terms of the content they cover, Which one is more maths based for example ?
Original post by LewisPringle
Hi, Hijacking this post wondering if anyone can give me overview of the differences between an accounting and finance and economics degree in terms of the content they cover, Which one is more maths based for example ?

Look at the module list for universities you're interested in for those subjects, and try to find the syllabi for those modules - compare and contrast.

Generally, Econ has more quantitative content than A&F.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
According to uni league tables, Durham places 20+ for A&F... would it be wise to look at other 'semi targetted' universities e.g. Bath, for A&F as Durham places lower down?
Original post by Dervo
According to uni league tables, Durham places 20+ for A&F... would it be wise to look at other 'semi targetted' universities e.g. Bath, for A&F as Durham places lower down?

Barely any difference between semi-targets really.. So yeah go for the best for your subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
... would that 20th place mean IB's are less likely to target Durham A&F students, despite the big university name?
Reply 75
Also, these 'target' and 'semi target' universities... do these only really apply to FO roles, or is it the same for every position? BO as well?
Original post by Dervo
... would that 20th place mean IB's are less likely to target Durham A&F students, despite the big university name?

No.

Original post by Dervo
Also, these 'target' and 'semi target' universities... do these only really apply to FO roles, or is it the same for every position? BO as well?

FO and in some cases MO. BO roles (maybe non-tech, as there seems to be a bias towards unis with good STEM departments for tech - hardly a targeting system however) don't really care

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about ucas points though? isn't it worthless doing an accounting and finance degree for example with below 280 points because this is pretty much what every firm asks for.

This is why its confusing people go to the lower ranked unis for this course. This is what also pushes many to other fields it seems because of receiving lower ucas points, which sways people more into other fiels like CS where it's all about that experience and degree grade. It was defintaly one of the things that was offputting for me and some of my friends, sure there will be some jobs but the degree seems worthless in the accountting and finance industry without them ucas points.
Original post by alexp98
What about ucas points though? isn't it worthless doing an accounting and finance degree for example with below 280 points because this is pretty much what every firm asks for.

This is why its confusing people go to the lower ranked unis for this course. This is what also pushes many to other fields it seems because of receiving lower ucas points, which sways people more into other fiels like CS where it's all about that experience and degree grade. It was defintaly one of the things that was offputting for me and some of my friends, sure there will be some jobs but the degree seems worthless in the accountting and finance industry without them ucas points.

There are jobs outside of the places which ask for UCAS points, in fact the majority of jobs don't. It's just that people are fixated in big corporate grad schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are jobs outside of the places which ask for UCAS points, in fact the majority of jobs don't. It's just that people are fixated in big corporate grad schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aren't the points actually required to become an accountant or chartered accountant though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending