Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gars de baccalaureats)
    Are we all related?

if they did exist then we must be isnt it?

wouldnt they have to breed within the family? (does the bible say anything about relationships of this type within the family?)
    There's a simple answer: they didn't exist. But we are all related to a lesser or greater extent. We all have the same genes but there many different varients of these genes (alleles). Such as genes for brown or blond hair colour.

But humans are more closely related than most animals and genetic or archaeological evidence (I don't quite remember) shows we may be descended from a small number of people in Africa. According to research where our ancestors were traced using mitochrondrial DNA (only passed down maternally) we are all descended from one woman from middle Africa (ties in with Archaeological evidence of the earliest human settlements).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    The Bible is surprisingly incestuous.
    You should come to norfolk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    So was I - One can be a Christian or Muslim without thinking the world is 6000 years old

Essentially the answer to your question is that small mutations and adaption to our environment has made us turn out like this; we can discover why by looking at the fossil record and transitional fossils, as well as observing evolution in labs and in the world around us.

As to whether humans are still evolving; there's an ongoing debate in the field of science. I personally believe we are.

I can only speak for Islam and if you don't believe in the Prophet Adam or merely just state that God is "lying" in the Quran, you're not much of a muslim.

As to evolutionism, it isn't based on scientific facts. It is merely a theory of something that is widely considered as quite difficult to apprehend and explain. That is way I found it kind of silly to call creationism BS without a proper constructuve basis to the criticism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    You should come to norfolk.
    I'm from Norfolk. Do what on Earth do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sundous)
    I can only speak for Islam and if you don't believe in the Prophet Adam or merely just state that God is "lying" in the Quran, you're not much of a muslim.
    So if the Quran said that the earth was flat, you'd think that?

As to evolutionism, it isn't based on scientific facts. It is merely a theory of something that is widely considered as quite difficult to apprehend and explain. That is way I found it kind of silly to call creationism BS without a proper constructuve basis to the criticism
    Evolution is widely regarded as as close to scientific fact as any theory there is; remember that gravity is a theory too :p:

The only people who claim it's difficult to understand or explain (In the sense that we can't verify it using the scientfic method are people who have never studied it beyond A level.

Sad but true.

ReputationRep:
    So if the Quran said that the earth was flat, you'd think that?

Evolution is widely regarded as as close to scientific fact as any theory there is; remember that gravity is a theory too :p:

The only people who claim it's difficult to understand or explain (In the sense that we can't verify it using the scientfic method are people who have never studied it beyond A level.

Sad but true.

How strange as to why I am studying it at the moment at "A level" (don't have those in Holland, but I guess University is valid enough?"

Gravity is indeed a theory but absolutely not in the same range as evolution. That is like comparing apples and pears.

The Quran doesn't say the earth is flat, also it isn't a book of science but a book of guidance.

Truly wish this discussion was in Dutch atm

ReputationRep:
    Muslims don't believe the world is 6000 years old. There were life forms on earth prior to humans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soc)
    Muslims don't believe the world is 6000 years old. There were life forms on earth prior to humans.

I didn't say that that wasn't true did I?

(I need some sleep :laugh:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eubacterium)
    I'm from Norfolk. Do what on Earth do you mean?
    So am I.

Hi

P.S. Incest isn't normal outside of norfolk you see

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say that that wasn't true did I?

(I need some sleep :laugh:)
    No you didn't hotness. But I thought I'd clarify.

(I need sleep too).

ReputationRep:
    How strange as to why I am studying it at the moment at "A level" (don't have those in Holland, but I guess University is valid enough?"
    Yup. So tell me; how do you explain the archaeopteryx fossils?

Gravity is indeed a theory but absolutely not in the same range as evolution. That is like comparing apples and pears.
    Why aren't they comparable? Both can be observed. Research speciation.

The Quran doesn't say the earth is flat, also it isn't a book of science but a book of guidance.
    If it's not a book of science, why are you looking to it for scientific facts rather than looking for the thousands upon thousands of scientists who can demonstrate evolution? Why believe in a worldwide flood when logic says that it's not even possible?

ReputationRep:
    Why believe in a worldwide flood when logic says that it's not even possible?
    Muslims believe in a worldwide flood?

However, I'm sure there are equally bizarre events in the Qur'an.

ReputationRep:
    I presume he's referring to Noah's flood. Though I'm not sure it is directly mentioned in the Qur'an.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soc)
    I presume he's referring to Noah's flood. Though I'm not sure it is directly mentioned in the Qur'an.
    Yes at first I typed Noah's flood but I wasn't aware Muslims believed in it. Perhaps they do I've just never heard it mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    So am I.

Hi

P.S. Incest isn't normal outside of norfolk you see
    Well if you think you’re an inbred that’s your problem, there’s no need to say the whole of Norfolk is incestuous. I really can’t be blamed for being offended and giving you red, but I don’t see any reason for you to neg me back considering you invoked it. Some of the rudeness in this forum never ceases to amaze me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eubacterium)
    Well if you think you’re an inbred that’s your problem, there’s no need to say the whole of Norfolk is incestuous. I really can’t be blamed for being offended and giving you red, but I don’t see any reason for you to neg me back considering you invoked it. Some of the rudeness in this forum never ceases to amaze me.
    I don't, thanks.

I never said it was. But it's a medical fact that the gene pool in norfolk is somewhat smaller than average, ask the MP for Norwich North (I think that's his constituency, could be wrong).

You called me inbred, I found that rude. I never called you one.

I simply made a joke about a county which I live in. If you can't take jokes about yourself, you can't make them about others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Yes at first I typed Noah's flood but I wasn't aware Muslims believed in it. Perhaps they do I've just never heard it mentioned.
    Consider it mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    it might be your fault, but it's certainly not mine!
    No, actually, you are accountable for your own sin. You have freewill, you have the choice to be good or be bad. You are accountable for your own actions, and thus for your own sin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TML)
    Genesis, although being figurative, conveys key theological principles. The key concepts that we are all sinful, that God was our Creator, that God wants us to rest on one day in seven, that the principle of earthly stewardship still applies (the earth is in a state of dual ownership - we have a responsibility to take care of the earth), that sin is our fault (we are accountable and responsible for it), that we must work in life amongst other key principles.

My word, what a compelling argument... :rolleyes:
    1. if the flooding keeps up that my be a distinct possibility [yes i know severn isn't spelled that way :p:]

2. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TML)
    No, actually, you are accountable for your own sin. You have freewill, you have the choice to be good or be bad. You are accountable for your own actions, and thus for your own sin.
    and what happens to you if you sin?

[note i went a whole post with using a rolleyes smiley :confused: :mad: :p: :cool: :eek: :tsr2: :suitc: :suitd: ]

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.