Turn on thread page Beta

Adam & Eve (Breeding) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Yes at first I typed Noah's flood but I wasn't aware Muslims believed in it. Perhaps they do I've just never heard it mentioned.
    bear in mind christians muslims and jews have one thing in common, all thier religions are branches of the same tree.

Oh and if Adam and Eve were true doesnt that mean that the sons were doing thier mother? and thier sisters? and thier nieces.

thats just gross

ReputationRep:
    and what happens to you if you sin?
    Ultimately, I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the Adam and Eve story symbolic rather than literal?

ReputationRep:
    Why do people keep saying "we're all related to a woman in Africa". Surely everyone would be related to her - including the other people in her habitat? As in, yes, we're all related to the African woman, but then we're all related to her "mate", and her parents etc etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agamemnon)
    That's the traditional Christian view, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gars de baccalaureats)
    Are we all related?
    Yes, selective breeding has resulted in what evolutionists call "races" whereas in factthere is only one human race / kind.

(Original post by Gars de baccalaureats)
    wouldnt they have to breed within the family? (does the bible say anything about relationships of this type within the family?)
    2000 years after Adam & Eve when Israel became a separate eople with a reduced gene pool God instituted anti incest law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agamemnon)
    yea it is...majority of people see it wrong and could never see that the Bible does not say that Adam and Eve were the only two humans...it just never mentions other humans at that point. it always seems to be missed...the whole creation and perpose of humanbiengs part along with the downfall of early humans....and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    Why do people keep saying "we're all related to a woman in Africa". Surely everyone would be related to her - including the other people in her habitat? As in, yes, we're all related to the African woman, but then we're all related to her "mate", and her parents etc etc?
    I think it's to do with the way mitochondrial DNA works. It's normally passed on, without change, from mother to children. But sometimes it will change due to random mutations. I think this "mitochondrial eve" is the earliest person in that family line that everyone can be traced back to, due to the mutations. Any further back and it's too different to be sure about it.

I only have an extremely basic understanding of it though so hopefully someone more informed will be able to fill us in.

(Original post by NJA)
    2000 years after Adam & Eve when Israel became a separate eople with a reduced gene pool God instituted anti incest law.
    So why was it not a problem when there were only Adam, Eve, and their kids? Surely there was an even smaller gene pool then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    OO! OO! I want to take a guess at this one science people! (no not scientologist) On with my answer....its a biology one...
    Like I was saying, the human body is created, puttogether...I don't know....we have a bunch of microscopic things called cells...these cells have two sources of DNA...one is in the nucleus which carries genes of both mother and father, but there is another which holds unchanged DNA from the mother. so the lineage could be traced through that part of the cell through all the mothers...ultamitely unchanged. so many people could create the thought of "we are from the same old lady from Africa. right science guys?!

can't remember that one part of the cell though....lysosome??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    Consider it mentioned.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    So why was it not a problem when there were only Adam, Eve, and their kids? Surely there was an even smaller gene pool then?
    No, if Adam & Eve had different gene characteristics then that would be almost double what 2 people from a selectively bred population would have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Originally Posted by DanGrover
    I think it's to do with the way mitochondrial DNA works. It's normally passed on, without change, from mother to children. But sometimes it will change due to random mutations. I think this "mitochondrial eve" is the earliest person in that family line that everyone can be traced back to, due to the mutations. Any further back and it's too different to be sure about it.

I only have an extremely basic understanding of it though so hopefully someone more informed will be able to fill us in.

Yes what you have said is correct, basically everyone living at this moment can all be traced back to the "Mitochondrial Eve", but that does not mean that everyone in all existance was related to her. The other lineages died out from all the other existing females at that time. Again I would like to make a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve I haven't read all of it but I think it should give a good idea on this topic.

ReputationRep:
    Well, to be fair to Christians, the only reason why incest is "bad" from a health point of view is because it's easy to be a carrier of a certain genetic disease, without being afflicted with it - in the same way as you can have blue eyes from a brown eyed mother (like my great, Aryan self). Over the course of millenia, we build up a massive storage of these genetic mutations that cause such diseases, but most of whom don't actually have such diseases. You typically need two people with the same mutation to have a spazzy kid (to quoth the technical term), and that's why incest is bad hmmkay.

But, if it's true that God made Adam and Even perfect, then they'd have no genetic abnormalities - nor, presumably, would their kids (if they had any kids in the Garden of Eden - I'm not clued up on my dogma.) Any kids born outside of Eden may well have a some genetic defects, but the chances of them having the same ones (since their parents were "pure", they couldn't inherit any, they'd need to mutate them themselves) would be pretty minuscule.

This then continues on, and by the time our genetics have mutated enough to mean there's a realistic chance of getting harshly monged up, humankid would be spread all over Gaia.

Though, i'm not scientamologist, so feel free to correct me if I'm being rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    No, if Adam & Eve had different gene characteristics then that would be almost double what 2 people from a selectively bred population would have
    But what about their kids? Surely having the same mum and dad is going to make them pretty similar genetically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    But what about their kids? Surely having the same mum and dad is going to make them pretty similar genetically?
    As I said above, until their genes have had time to mutate, there's no danger in incest - and since their parents were, apparently, made perfect, they wouldn't inherit any genetic mutations, so they'd need to mutate identically to subsequently have mongy kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    If 2 or more genes code for skin colour for example, & Adam & Eve are neither pure white or pure black, the old "punnet squaure" gives 16 possible genotypes - more than enough for all known skin types. No need for mutation (except for freckles perhaps).

Same for other characteristics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    If 2 or more genes code for skin colour for example, & Adam & Eve are neither pure white or pure black, the old "punnet squaure" gives 16 possible genotypes - more than enough for all known skin types. No need for mutation (except for freckles perhaps).

Same for other characteristics.
    Not what I was getting at really. DanGrover explained it quite well though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
    bear in mind christians muslims and jews have one thing in common, all thier religions are branches of the same tree.

Oh and if Adam and Eve were true doesnt that mean that the sons were doing thier mother? and thier sisters? and thier nieces.

thats just gross
    As I've mentioned above, for true Biblical incest action, see the story of Lot. His daughters getting him rat-arsed and shagging him. Classic.

As for the other defences of this, they make more sense than the response I was thinking of.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm certainly no scientist, this is all based on GCSE knowledge. It seems actual scientists don't go into threads called "Adam and Eve (Breeding)".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    I don't, thanks.

I never said it was. But it's a medical fact that the gene pool in norfolk is somewhat smaller than average, ask the MP for Norwich North (I think that's his constituency, could be wrong).

You called me inbred, I found that rude. I never called you one.

I simply made a joke about a county which I live in. If you can't take jokes about yourself, you can't make them about others.
    Well you obviously haven't gotten the message that the "joke" isn't funny but actually quite offensive and in bad taste.

I spent a year in Wales and really didn't like it. It never occurred to me to refer to the place as being incestuous. You're entitled to your own opinion but posting something like this in a public forum will cause offensive. Your sense of humour is obviously quite sick and if you insist on posting such things, there are going to be people who will retaliate.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.