Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm either going to a grammar school or a college for sixth form. I have not yet decided on which one I shall go to.

I do fancy a bit of a change from my normal school surroundings and I would also like to meet new people. So this is why I am considering college.

What is college like? Is it more exciting than a sixth form at a school? Is the class work more independent?

Also, I have picked Psychology as an A-level option...what is psychology like?
    Is it quite sciency? (I'm not got at Science. I got 2 Bs for Biology and Physics and a below C grade in Chemistry). Is it a lot of work? And is it difficult? Also, is it less work than GCSE Art?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookie123456789)
    I'm either going to a grammar school or a college for sixth form. I have not yet decided on which one I shall go to.

I do fancy a bit of a change from my normal school surroundings and I would also like to meet new people. So this is why I am considering college.

What is college like? Is it more exciting than a sixth form at a school? Is the class work more independent?

Also, I have picked Psychology as an A-level option...what is psychology like?
    Is it quite sciency? (I'm not got at Science. I got 2 Bs for Biology and Physics and a below C grade in Chemistry). Is it a lot of work? And is it difficult? Also, is it less work than GCSE Art?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    You get a LOT more freedom in college than 6th form grammar schools imo. For example in the grammar school I went to, they still babied you and wouldn't let you go home even if you'd finished all your lessons for the day by 1pm, but I guess if you like that kind of thing then go for it.
    I did psychology A level and absolutely loved it. Not much if any maths in there, there's a bit dotted around in the research methods section but it's minuscule and even less than GCSE maths and more so about reading a graph. Topics are really interesting, but it is essentially one big memory test as you write up a bunch of essays throughout the year, memorise or get the gist of them all and a couple of those will come up in your exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    You get a LOT more freedom in college than 6th form grammar schools imo. For example in the grammar school I went to, they still babied you and wouldn't let you go home even if you'd finished all your lessons for the day by 1pm, but I guess if you like that kind of thing then go for it.
    I did psychology A level and absolutely loved it. Not much if any maths in there, there's a bit dotted around in the research methods section but it's minuscule and even less than GCSE maths and more so about reading a graph. Topics are really interesting, but it is essentially one big memory test as you write up a bunch of essays throughout the year, memorise or get the gist of them all and a couple of those will come up in your exam
    Thanks for the reply. So psychology is a lot of essay writing then? Is it a lot of work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookie123456789)
    Thanks for the reply. So psychology is a lot of essay writing then? Is it a lot of work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would say it is yeah, though you write more essays in A2 compared to AS. I did AQA and in year 12 we had 12 markers, whereas 24 markers in year 13. I will say this though because the topics are quite interesting I always enjoyed the lessons and didn't find the essays that hard to write. It's not like a history or English essay. Usually much shorter (like 2 pages max really) and easier to write. Defiantly not a hard subject

ReputationRep:
    I went to a college taster day. There's so many people compared to sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    I would say it is yeah, though you write more essays in A2 compared to AS. I did AQA and in year 12 we had 12 markers, whereas 24 markers in year 13. I will say this though because the topics are quite interesting I always enjoyed the lessons and didn't find the essays that hard to write. It's not like a history or English essay. Usually much shorter (like 2 pages max really) and easier to write. Defiantly not a hard subject
    That's brilliant! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    I went to a college taster day. There's so many people compared to sixth form.
    Haha yeah, I think that's cool because I would like to meet new people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.