Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can you learn languages alongside your main course? watch

ReputationRep:
    & do you know if you have to be at a certain level to start?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about other unis but at UEA, they have evening lessons or something where you can learn other languages, and this is completely in your free time Someone may need to back me up though but I think that's what they said on the open day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IKEAPanda37)
    I don't know about other unis but at UEA, they have evening lessons or something where you can learn other languages, and this is completely in your free time Someone may need to back me up though but I think that's what they said on the open day
    They have this at most unis. Also at Edinburgh you can take modules in other fields similar to yours where you can take up a new language from scratch/continue at level from school (at least for first year or two).
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Check with your uni.

At mine for example, you can for free and there are beginner stages, gcse-level, A-level, etc. If your course permits it you can study it as part of your degree.

At Warwick as another example, it seems you have to pay to study unless it's part of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on each university.

Here at Queen Mary University of London, we have to pay to learn a language alongside your own degree. Also, the timings might be inconvenient if you are not staying at university... I know here that some classes are in the evening... :/

ReputationRep:
    My current uni has subscriptions to DVD and online language courses which you can learn from scratch, at your own pace and in your own time.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.