Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

So this is a typical "are my GCSEs good enough for Oxbridge" thread. I am very sorry. But I also have a further query.

At GCSE I got 5A*, 4A and a B. Is this good enough for Oxbridge? I would particularly be interested in HSPS at Cambridge, PPE at Oxford, History or Law at either. I was particularly asking this for Oxford: I had written them off a bit since my results because I think that they aren't all that great for Oxford compared to Cambridge.

Second question: I am doing 4 A Levels, two of which I will be doing AS Levels in due to reforms. Will these AS level results be able to be assessed and put on my uni application so that they could see I performed well? To support my application, etc.

Final question! I am going to a pretty good grammar school for 6th form. Whilst my GCSE grades were brilliant for the school I went to, which is in a deprived area and has generally poor results, they would be sub-par to average at this grammar school. Would the universities consider my GCSE grades in the context of my old school rather than the grammar school?

Gosh thats a long post. Thanks
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Juedjegfewo)
    At GCSE I got 5A*, 4A and a B. Is this good enough for Oxbridge? I would particularly be interested in HSPS at Cambridge, PPE at Oxford, History or Law at either. I was particularly asking this for Oxford: I had written them off a bit since my results because I think that they aren't all that great for Oxford compared to Cambridge.
    Your GCSEs are just one part of a university application. And your profile is typical of applicants to either Cambridge or Oxford.

For both, your Y12&Y13 academic perfromance will be more important.

Cambridge has the pre-interview HSPS Admissions Assessment http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...cification.pdf and you will also need to be on target to meet or exceed their typical offer (A*AA)

Second question: I am doing 4 A Levels, two of which I will be doing AS Levels in due to reforms. Will these AS level results be able to be assessed and put on my uni application so that they could see I performed well? To support my application, etc.
    Yes, all your AS grades will be declared on your UCAS form. In addition Cambridge has a form called the SAQ where you declare your module UMS in any subjects that have UMS. For reformed AS/A-levels you don't have UMS, but you can optionally ask your referee to provide your raw marks, and/or mock results.

Final question! I am going to a pretty good grammar school for 6th form. Whilst my GCSE grades were brilliant for the school I went to, which is in a deprived area and has generally poor results, they would be sub-par to average at this grammar school. Would the universities consider my GCSE grades in the context of my old school rather than the grammar school?
    Your GCSEs are assessed in the context of the school you took your GCSEs.

Cambridge also has a number of other contextual bits of data it can use.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ontextual-data

ReputationRep:
    jneill Thanks very much for your response! Its very helpful, especially the link to Cambridge's contextual data info.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Juedjegfewo)
    jneill Thanks very much for your response! Its very helpful, especially the link to Cambridge's contextual data info.
    No problem

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.