Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When you are applying to non Russell group uni's, do gcse's matter even if you have a C and above in English and Maths?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on which universities you plan on applying to. Some non-Russell Group members are vastly superior to members of the Russell Group as it is just a marketing group, so you will find some non- Russell group Universities will expect As in certain GCSEs if they are related to your degree or Bs in Maths and English. There are however a lot that simply want Cs in English and Maths and as long as you do well in your A levels you are fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinfarts)
    Well it depends on which universities you plan on applying to. Some non-Russell Group members are vastly superior to members of the Russell Group as it is just a marketing group, so you will find some non- Russell group Universities will expect As in certain GCSEs if they are related to your degree or Bs in Maths and English. There are however a lot that simply want Cs in English and Maths and as long as you do well in your A levels you are fine.
    I was talking about applying to so called "mediocre" unis such as Hull and Keele etc
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackpayner)
    I was talking about applying to so called "mediocre" unis such as Hull and Keele etc
    Not sure about Hull but I know Keele can be very forgiving when it comes to GCSEs with some of their subjects not requiring GCSE maths if you have a C in a Science I believe, unless it has changed since I last saw. So I wouldn't worry about GCSEs too much, as long as you have done well enough to get into the next stage of education you should be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackpayner)
    Easiest thing to do is go on the uni's website, search for the course you are interested in and check out the entry requirements - gcse requirements will be listed alongside A level grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.