Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

RAF PJFT training

ReputationRep:
    Hey all
    I've recently failed my first attempt at the pre joining fitness test for the RAF, I can do the push-ups and sit-ups but I really struggled with the running, I can do 1.5 miles in about 15 minutes on a treadmill does anyone have any advice as to how I can get my time down to 11minutes at most? I can run outdoors and have joined a gym I find the actual speed of the treadmill the hard part, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Dont panic mate, just keep at it and youll be surprised how quickly time will drop off your run! (been there done that)

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a silly and flippant answer, but run more.

Get out and run daily, if not twice daily. Do timed 1.5 mile runs and do longer, slower runs to build endurance. Use HIIT / fartlek tactics to get used to speed.

Sub 10 minutes should be your target and is easily achievable.

ReputationRep:
    thank you both for your answers I'll try and let you know my progress in a couple of weeks

ReputationRep:
    hey, i had the same problem. what i did was booked into the same gym my test was in on the same treadmill but brought someone along to stand at the side for added pressure . they should tell you speed you need to need to keep at to get a pass. i was running at 9.5km/h (and struggled) but needed to be at 11km/h so for my practice i did 11.5km/h and managed. its definitely more mental over physical (for me anyway ) keep it up and don't give up.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I have about 2 weeks until my result and I'm running 1.25 miles at about 9minutes but I keep burning out, does anyone have any advice for getting that but more distance? I usually do interval training of running 9.5mph for 2 minutes then 3mph for one minute

ReputationRep:
    I found sprinting up a hill (for a sensible distance) then jogging down then repeating helpful. That way when it comes to running fast on flat ground it feels easier. Plus trying circuits can help with your cardio, mark out a rectangle or whatever on flat ground,jog to one corner do some star jumps sprint to the next corner do some bur-pies etc. Your really close to getting it anyway and with the adrenaline i'm sure you'll pass

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.