Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So i'm due to go to a PiP assessment thing for my health in a few days regarding my anxiety and depression and whatnot and I'm terrified for slipping up or about whatever is going to be said or asked of me. My parents are being extremely pushy and wanting me to over-exaggerate my illnesses but I don't really want to.

Can anyone who's been on it before please offer a little insight on what I'll be asked or how it should go?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    By exaggerating, you're making your illness is worse than it really is. But there's nothing wrong with saying "on bad days, which is this often, this happens..." You need to take someone with you. It will go against you (I think they ask how you get there) if you alone.

Only say no to something if you can do the task and repeat it with no problems at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So i'm due to go to a PiP assessment thing for my health in a few days regarding my anxiety and depression and whatnot and I'm terrified for slipping up or about whatever is going to be said or asked of me. My parents are being extremely pushy and wanting me to over-exaggerate my illnesses but I don't really want to.

Can anyone who's been on it before please offer a little insight on what I'll be asked or how it should go?
    Definitely agree about taking someone with you. Don't go in there under playing any of your illnesses. Tell them exactly how bad it gets and how it stops you doing everyday things sometimes

Thanks so much guys, I went in today and it didnt last so long but my mother went in with me and helped out when I couldnt speak
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I had my PIP assessment recently and tbh, it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. The nurse who assessed me wasn't overly nice but wasn't horrible either, just pretty neutral which was fine. My mum and partner came with me but only my mum came into the room with me. I think my partner should have came in since he is my carer but my mum wanted to go in.

I got asked general stuff such as "do you do any cooking?", "do you self harm/feel suicidal?", "can you go out alone?" etc. I went there for CPTSD, OCD, panic attacks and depression as well as a bowel condition. I was a nervous wreck was nearly physically sick with nerves in the room and I could barely talk. It took around 30/40 mins and I was told I'd have a decision within 2 to 4 weeks. I got rejected for PIP. I was 2 points off from getting it and a lot of the things in the report they wrote were wrong so I am now appealing and have more medical evidence to submit so fingers crossed the decision will change.

Don't feel like you have to hold back in there, I know a lot of us have grown to feel like we have to hide our emotions and anxiety in most situations but this is a time when they have to see how bad your condition(s) are.

*just saw your last post* - glad it didn't last too long and you had someone who could go with you and help you out. Hope you get the result you are looking for :hugs:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.