Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Not sure whether I'm on the right part of the forum, but I'll roll with it.

Is there any way to tell whether extenuating circumstances have been applied to your GCSE grades? I was very unwell at the time, but I am sure that this wasn't taken into consideration and would like some proof of that.

I can't really contact my school as it has been some years since I did my exams.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gakusei)
    Hi all,

Is there any way to tell whether extenuating circumstances have been applied to your GCSE grades? I was very unwell at the time, but I am sure that this wasn't taken into consideration and would like some proof of that.

I can't really contact my school as it has been some years since I did my exams.

Thanks!
    There is no reason why you can't contact the school, unless by "some years" you mean a very lot of years. If it has been a very long time you could try contacting the examiners (contact details on their web site), they generally won't respond directly to you with such confidential details though as they have no way to identify you are who you say you are. Whether or not it was applied, it can't be changed now anyway. Keep in mind that special consideration for health problems doesn't usually have a huge impact on the results, just a few %.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    Can your parents remember? Unless your parents were asked for written proof from e.g. a GP or consultant, then it's unlikely that your schools went through the Extenuating Circumstances process. It is a formal process which requires the submission of reports and evidence. Whilst you might not have been directly involved, your parents would have been.

However as the above poster says, the adjustments aren't generous. I've seen an allowance of 5% quoted for the death of a parent, so unless you were very near a grade boundary, ECs were unlikely to have made much difference to your final result.

You could try asking your school but the info may not have been kept, depending on how old you are, The law only requires school pupil records to be held for five years after they leave. Local Authorities may have their own guidance e.g. Lewisham, where guidance is that detailed records for individual students can be disposed of once the student reaches the age of 25, which is likely to be slightly longer.

In any case, if your GCSEs were taken that long ago, it may not be relevant to your situation at this point. If a uni or employer requires a grade C in a subject and you have a grade D, I doubt that trying to prove you had unmitigated extenuating circumstances at the time, would make them lenient.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies!

I am applying to uni this year, and it's my GCSE grades that are severely limiting my options, I have contacted various unis and they say they will consider me despite my grades but a few are assuming that this was already taken into account at the time of my exams. I have asked my parents and they don't remember going through anything like you have described but I was wondering if there was any solid proof I could obtain (such as on my results report) I could show them.

I will see if I can find another way.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies!

I am applying to uni this year, and it's my GCSE grades that are severely limiting my options, I have contacted various unis and they say they will consider me despite my grades but a few are assuming that this was already taken into account at the time of my exams. I have asked my parents and they don't remember going through anything like you have described but I was wondering if there was any solid proof I could obtain (such as on my results report) I could show them.

I will see if I can find another way.
    Assuming that you're around 17/18 years old, the school where you took your GCSEs should still hold your detaled records. They should be able to tell you.

If your parents don't remember it, then it probably didn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Assuming that you're around 17/18 years old, the school where you took your GCSEs should still hold your detaled records. They should be able to tell you.
    Thank you, I'm 20 :/, I'll contact them just to see if still have any record, it's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'm 20 :/, I'll contact them just to see if still have any record, it's worth a try.
    You're well within the five year legal retention requirement, so the school should still have your records.

ReputationRep:
    The school should be able to trace applications for special consideration directly with exam boards. It is unlikely that the applications will appear on your school records (although they may have evidence of your illness on file). A letter from your exams officer, stating that special consideration applications were made will evidence that you were ill however if special consideration was already applied and you received additional marks this might not work in your favour.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.