Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dealing with judgmental attitudes towards education watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First post on here so I kinda don't know what to expect, but I'm seeking for anyone who has had the same experience with friends/family who just don't quit hating on your and your life choices, especially when you're going to university... which is supposed to be a positive thing. (Bit of a long one, hope you don't mind :elmo:)

First off I wanna give you some quick backstory on me. I'm a 20 year old guy who is just about to start my freshman year of uni in a fortnight. Out of my social circles and people I associate with, most are already out working or looking for work. Said friends are mostly working in respectable trades in construction, engineering etc.

Problem is, my friends come back home from busting their balls at work everyday and they 'relax' by teasing/berating me for not already having a career nailed down. (...Even though my career choice requires a degree...)

Like, there is no acceptance or even acknowledgement on their part that we are on different paths in life, all I get is 'banter' that goes along the lines of 'You do nothing all day' and it all pretty much equates to 'You are a student, you don't work, you don't want to grow up and therefore, you are lazy' and it does my head in. I've worked part time jobs in term time whenever I could and they're making me begin to think I could have done more despite my huge personal success, which depresses me.

It cant be jealousy, as they have no intention/do not see the point of university and getting a degree. I just want to know why one of their friends isn't allowed to want more from life than working on a construction site or in a garage all day, let alone the fact that it might just not be for them.

So my question to you guys is: Have you experienced this? How do you deal with it? Or if you're just a passer-by, I'd still love to hear your opinion on my situation.

It gets on my nerves so much and I feel I have to tip-toe around them and not bring up my proud moments like getting into uni out of fear of giving them a reason to call me things.

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenkinsk)
    First post on here so I kinda don't know what to expect, but I'm seeking for anyone who has had the same experience with friends/family who just don't quit hating on your and your life choices, especially when you're going to university... which is supposed to be a positive thing. (Bit of a long one, hope you don't mind :elmo:)

First off I wanna give you some quick backstory on me. I'm a 20 year old guy who is just about to start my freshman year of uni in a fortnight. Out of my social circles and people I associate with, most are already out working or looking for work. Said friends are mostly working in respectable trades in construction, engineering etc.

Problem is, my friends come back home from busting their balls at work everyday and they 'relax' by teasing/berating me for not already having a career nailed down. (...Even though my career choice requires a degree...)

Like, there is no acceptance or even acknowledgement on their part that we are on different paths in life, all I get is 'banter' that goes along the lines of 'You do nothing all day' and it all pretty much equates to 'You are a student, you don't work, you don't want to grow up and therefore, you are lazy' and it does my head in. I've worked part time jobs in term time whenever I could and they're making me begin to think I could have done more despite my huge personal success, which depresses me.

It cant be jealousy, as they have no intention/do not see the point of university and getting a degree. I just want to know why one of their friends isn't allowed to want more from life than working on a construction site or in a garage all day, let alone the fact that it might just not be for them.

So my question to you guys is: Have you experienced this? How do you deal with it? Or if you're just a passer-by, I'd still love to hear your opinion on my situation.

It gets on my nerves so much and I feel I have to tip-toe around them and not bring up my proud moments like getting into uni out of fear of giving them a reason to call me things.

Thanks guys.
    So I haven't really had the same experience as yours so I may not be much help, but I think that its great that you were able to get into Uni, congrats 👍

If its something that you really want to do and you have the opportunity then go for it. Not everyone has the same journey in life and honestly that's ok.

Have you tried talking to your friends about how you feel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentmoments)
    So I haven't really had the same experience as yours so I may not be much help, but I think that its great that you were able to get into Uni, congrats 👍

If its something that you really want to do and you have the opportunity then go for it. Not everyone has the same journey in life and honestly that's ok.

Have you tried talking to your friends about how you feel?
    Thanks for you reply, I guess you're right. When I look at the opportunity that lies ahead I really can't care about what is essentially just a misinformed opinion. I have tried talking to them about it but all I pretty much get back is 'We are better than you'.

Just disappointing because I worked damn hard and personally I feel that I've worked way harder than they ever have in school, but I still acknowledge that a classroom environment probably wasn't for them and so I don't judge accordingly, but they do the same... They won't accept that a building site isn't for me.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.