The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I respect my mum but she isn't my role model, my dad definitely isn't.
Reply 21
NO, I'm taller than my mum, and about the same height as my dad.

Haw Haw Haw
pushy11
...and I don't mean it literally.

I recently noticed that I don't actually have any role models, and the closest possible ones, if any, are my parents. Which raised the thought that does our generation really have any people who we can look up to? Naturally there must be many out there, but with the media attention being on the latest footballer who crashed his car while drunk on his way back from sleeping with hookers in a posh london hotel, or the world famous model who snorts loads of cocaine, goes into rehab, comes out and then appologises on some second-rate chat show, it definately is very hard to find someone who is trully admirable.

So the question is, do you aspire to be like your parents or have any other role models?

erm not really.
Reply 23
I don't particularly think of them as role models, but recently I've started noticing that I share a lot of my parents characteristics. They say you turn into one of your parents eventually and that theres nothing you can do about it. Worrying stuff. Honestly though, I think role models are vital. We all model ourselves on other people to some extent, hopefully positive ones
I look up to my mum for her strong character. Other than that, I don't really see her as a role model.
I respect my parents... but I can't say I 'look up' to them. Truth be told, I don't 'look up' to anyone.
Reply 26
i really have a lot of respect for my parents.

both came from working class backgrounds in belfast and joined the police in the 80's during the troubles in northern ireland knowing there was a pretty decent chance they'd get into some serious problems or even die because of it.

they did it to give my brother and i a better childhood than they had and they've been rewarded with good careers and well above average earnings now.

the penalty is some of the stuff they've seen which would haunt anyone for the rest of their days.
Reply 27
I respect my parents a lot . my father is the most idealistic person I ever seen . all his life he has never compromised with his principles. I admire him a lot .
Reply 28
I wouldn't want to be like my mum or dad even though there's a lot of things i admire about them..
Reply 29
I don't aspire to be like my parents however I very much respect the way they raised me. While I thought they were scum at the time I can very much respect how and why they made decisions as they did. I wouldn't raise my child quite the same way however.
Reply 30
My dad worked for a Ph.D and has continued to work hard during his career, so yes I respect that. My mum does what she enjoys for a relatively small salary, so she's doing things right too. But I wouldn't call them role models in any sense, not because there's anything fundamentally wrong with who they are but because I don't think I necessarily want to live my life the way they've done. There are things I want to do my own way.
Reply 31
I admire them but don’t look upto them. I don’t look upto elders mainly; I just get kept in line by them. My brother probably keeps me line the most in terms of recommending what’s a good or bad decision, but I don’t see him as a role model either.

Sort of like Lib North said about his parents, my parents are just working class average joes. My dad played semi pro football and has an amazing ability to do a repetitive job all day without getting bored, but that’s about it. I admire them and respect them coz they’re honest folk who work hard – dad works as many hours as he can - and give most of their cash to me and my bro (well did before he got a job), but I don’t want to be like them.

lol
Reply 32
I respect my father in precisely the way that I don't respect my mother, and vice-versa: the former is an obstinately-principled, burnt-out, selfish, impoverished, illustrious but emotionally-immature intellectual devoid of any common-sense; the latter is a prosperous, pragmatic, magnanimous, adaptable and resilient single-parent. Both are monumentally talented (particularly my father).

I admire them both, though I would not aspire to end up like either.
I don't respect them and I don't look up to them. I do have a few role models and people I look up to but nobody in my imediate life (anymore) and nobody in pop culture.
Libertin du Nord
No, I don't particularly look up to my parents. I respect them for being my parents, but generally they're just fairly normal and often rather irritating people. They're not especially noteworthy and I can't say I aspire towards any of the things they've done in their lives.

I can't really say I have any role models as such. Didn't when I was younger either.

:ditto: Exactly.
Reply 35
its probably easier to have grandparents (if theyre still alive) as rolemodels becasue partaking in WW2 instantly makes them bastions of virtue.
Consie
its probably easier to have grandparents (if theyre still alive) as rolemodels becasue partaking in WW2 instantly makes them bastions of virtue.

Yup and they had things alot harder then our parents did.
Reply 37
grandparents were hardcore too. everything was metal and cotton and people smoked pure tar cigarettes.
Yeah, for my mum bringing me and my other three siblings up - especially my whiney, arrogant, know-it-all sister, although she's mellowed over the years (are all girls like her while they grow up? "I want money for a new top, give it to me!", and there's me eating my breakfast going "what do you need a new top for? You've a cupboard-full of old ones that are fine.") - whilst my dad was at work 24/7 to pay off the debt they got into for their decision to send all of us (bar my youngest bro) to private boarding school in Britain (paid off, mind).

I often offered to come home and go to a state school because I could sense they were having immense financial difficulties for us, so my love and respect for my mum and dad are above unconditional. :smile: Plus they're amazingly loving and humourous people.
I definitely do. When I was younger, I really aspired to be like my father, because his intelligence, logic and transferable skills were astounding. I looked up to my mother as well, because she was not as hot-tempered as I was and in terms of household stuff she was very skilled. Now, I can see their faults and I do not see their words as the words of God anymore, but I do still look up to them. I think having a parental figure to look up to is important.

Latest

Trending

Trending