Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi,

i was wondering if there's anyone who's successfully done teh ELAT who can help me by telling me what they did for prep, because I don't know whether i have to start prepping now, or if i have to start reading special books or what! I'm really lazy so hopeuflly someone'll respond saying that you djust need to wing it ;((

ANY advice would be so so helpful because I don't know where to start and I don't know whether i need to do a past paper in timed conditions?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknowntsr)
    hi,

i was wondering if there's anyone who's successfully done teh ELAT who can help me by telling me what they did for prep, because I don't know whether i have to start prepping now, or if i have to start reading special books or what! I'm really lazy so hopeuflly someone'll respond saying that you djust need to wing it ;((

ANY advice would be so so helpful because I don't know where to start and I don't know whether i need to do a past paper in timed conditions?

thanks
    I might not be the best person to advise you as I didn't sit the ELAT because I changed my subject last-minute from English into Experimental Psychology lol but I had practised on it before.

It is definitely essential to do past papers under timed conditions and get them marked by your English teachers. I did a lot of practice on that and it familiarises you with the format. There are 6 texts all with one integral theme and you'll have to compare them in a couple of ways. ELAT really tests your 'instinct' with Eng Lit so it is partly true that you actually go in and 'wing it' cos it's unseen texts. There's no need to read any specific books at all (but for an Oxford English applicant I'd imagine you're already pretty well-read).

There are some strategies as in how you should approach the texts every time, it's a bit more advanced than finding similarities and comparing differences between the texts, it's like you have to grasp the central message and special literary features of the texts and then compare those against each other. You also don't have to talk about all 6 texts, I used to just pick 3 and then juggle them around. So yeah for now just work on past papers and then experiment with different approaches, often you'll instinctively know after you've read the texts a couple of times. Annotating and planning before writing also help. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknowntsr)
    hi,

thanks
    Will start Ox English this year

I'd recommend doing as many past papers as you can. They don't have to be in timed conditions to start with but later on they should. That way through trial and error you can work out how much time suits you best reading, picking, annotating, planning then writing. And also whether you feel more comfortable analysing two or three. The more papers you do, the easier they'll become, give them to your English teacher to mark as well

I read the emagazine/good literary reviews in the Guardian to brush up/add to the bank of literary terms I already knew from A Level English.

There's no set structure-I wrote my essays themically but then made sure to consider language, form and structure but that's because I found myself automatically doing it, it came naturally. it's whatever works best for you

Gud look!!

It helps to know that whatever part of the application you're working towards, that you can still redeem yourself with the other bits should it go a bit pear-shaped and anyways, you'll probs find the ELAT fun

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.