Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    University Essex to do BSc Economics. I also applied to Anglia Ruskin a not so good University to do BSc Business Economics. I got an unconditional offer from Anglia Ruskin to do my chosen subject; I got a conditional offer from Essex. Recently Essex uni updated my ucas but changed my course to History and Economics. I believe I have the option to choose certain modules and sway the degree more to the economics side.My only problem is I'm trying to think ahead. When it comes to employment what would be beneficial. What be the advice to an individual who seeks to work in a bank or to be an investment analyst etc... Would the course be more important? The uni attended? Etc..
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Mappy_93)
    University Essex to do BSc Economics. I also applied to Anglia Ruskin a not so good University to do BSc Business Economics. I got an unconditional offer from Anglia Ruskin to do my chosen subject; I got a conditional offer from Essex. Recently Essex uni updated my ucas but changed my course to History and Economics. I believe I have the option to choose certain modules and sway the degree more to the economics side.My only problem is I'm trying to think ahead. When it comes to employment what would be beneficial. What be the advice to an individual who seeks to work in a bank or to be an investment analyst etc... Would the course be more important? The uni attended? Etc..
    The one thing I would say is apply for a placement year (both those unis seem to offer them) and get that experience in. How much the course title matters, I do not know - one of the factors (of importance) is your classification and to do well, it's honestly really important to enjoy what you study. Otherwise you're fighting an uphill battle.

Also, I know that league tables are to be taken with a pinch of salt but Anglia Ruskin seems to be a very, very low scoring uni across multiple sources so perhaps it's worth looking into why that is and whether that could sway your decision. I'm not sure how important uni prestige is outside of Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, etc... but that's still something to think about when you're comparing Essex to AR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mappy_93)
    Hey there I am an Essex Uni student and I could tell you a few things about what it offers. Personally, I couldn't be happier with my coming to this Uni as it has a lot of opportunities outside of my studies. They offer placements that you can do during term time called frontrunners and they range greatly from research in marine biology to accountancy and maths. I don't know anything about Anglia Ruskin besides its rankings, but if you want to gain experience while you study and do a placement year as well, I know Essex has a lot to offer.
    Hopefully, the information I gave you was useful enough. If you have any other questions just let me know and I will answer them as well as I can.
    ^Dragos

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.