Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American student applying to unis in the US and UK for English. For my UK choices, I have my "reaches" (Oxford, UCL) and "matches" (KCL, Edinburgh). For my fifth, I either could choose a school I know I'll get into, Queen Mary, which obviously has a great location and has a good reputation in English, or should I aim higher, considering that I'm also applying to safeties in the US.

As an American, are my chances of getting into Bristol/Durham/Nottingham, etc. similar to KCL/Edinburgh? Am I underselling Queen Mary over prestige? And what choices do y'all suggest, considering I'm looking for a school that's highly ranked in English, in/near an enjoyable city with a lot going on culturally - which rules out St. Andrew's ;( - , with generally likable people?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I think you're going about this the right way in terms of reaches, matches and a safety uni. I'm not sure why you think being an American affects whether or not you'll get into particular unis? If you meet the entry requirements your nationality doesn't matter. Another thing is ranking...these don't mean much so spend more time looking at the course structure and content and how you will be taught. The other bits (city and culture) are very relative and personal. Personally I love London now but would have been lost when I first came to the UK so went for a smaller city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I think you're going about this the right way in terms of reaches, matches and a safety uni. I'm not sure why you think being an American affects whether or not you'll get into particular unis? If you meet the entry requirements your nationality doesn't matter. Another thing is ranking...these don't mean much so spend more time looking at the course structure and content and how you will be taught. The other bits (city and culture) are very relative and personal. Personally I love London now but would have been lost when I first came to the UK so went for a smaller city.
    Thanks-I live in Chicago and so am pretty accustomed to city life. What city did you choose and do you have recommendations about enjoyable cities to study (e.g. Bristol, Nottingham, Birmingham, etc.)? My main issue is I feel I've been a bit close-minded, only thinking of London/Edinburgh, and perhaps should consider other towns in England.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliyahul'orignal)
    Thanks-I live in Chicago and so am pretty accustomed to city life. What city did you choose and do you have recommendations about enjoyable cities to study (e.g. Bristol, Nottingham, Birmingham, etc.)? My main issue is I feel I've been a bit close-minded, only thinking of London/Edinburgh, and perhaps should consider other towns in England.
    You are over-selling QMUL. Bristol, Durham, Bath are all better, Nottingham, Birmingham probably also better in most circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You are over-selling QMUL. Bristol, Durham, Bath are all better, Nottingham, Birmingham probably also better in most circumstances.
    I mean, do you think it's worth it having QMUL as a safety? As in, do you think it's a reasonable, despite being less prestigious, alternative?

ReputationRep:
    I mean, do you think it's worth it having QMUL as a safety? As in, do you think it's a reasonable, despite being less prestigious, alternative?
    No Queen Mary is ****, deffo don't go there - in the UK it's not that well respected.

You're best bet is Bristol I think, then Nottingham I lived with an American At Bristol uni and she loved it! It has great culture and a real buzz vibe with loads going on - is deffo recommend it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    No Queen Mary is ****, deffo don't go there - in the UK it's not that well respected.

You're best bet is Bristol I think, then Nottingham I lived with an American At Bristol uni and she loved it! It has great culture and a real buzz vibe with loads going on - is deffo recommend it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Seems like a lovely and pretty hip town! The U.K. and international uni rankings are so different it's hard to pick schools so I just kind'be focused on London, but Bristol seems like an awesome option-wonder what my chance of admission is...

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a lovely and pretty hip town! The U.K. and international uni rankings are so different it's hard to pick schools so I just kind'be focused on London, but Bristol seems like an awesome option-wonder what my chance of admission is...
    It's awesome + very well regarded!

If you've got equivalent grades, I definitely think you'll get in! Especially as you're an international student so paying higher fees

As a side question, I see you're from Chicago! I'm heading out there this evening - do you have any nice restaurants you recommend?

Ps best of luck with your uni application! If you have any questions on Bristol just drop me a PM xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm actually making the same decision right now about which to put as my 5th school, I also have oxford and Edinburgh as two of my choices but for the other two I have Durham and Newcastle. Just wondering what you had chosen as I was thinking of putting QMUL as my safety school as well. I'm international but from Canada and studying English

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.