Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How many weeks work experience did you have when you applied?
    Which uni are you studying vet med at?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I had around 45 and I'm now at the RVC, but also got offers from Edinburgh, Bristol and Liverpool.

As long as you have a decent amount, to an extent the variety of your placements matters more. A lot of what I did was from two long term placements that I did over the course of two years.

You might want to look at University Connect to see what amount of work experience people got in with. My experience is broken down into individual placements on my profile if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    I had 24 weeks, fairly decent mix of placements including a couple of long term ones.
    I'm starting at Glasgow next week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B.Humphris99)
    How many weeks work experience did you have when you applied?
    Which uni are you studying vet med at?
    I had over 52 weeks when I applied.
    I'm at Liverpool.

Most of the universities just require you get what they ask for - Liverpool like you to go above and beyond what they ask as the minimum requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had around 13 weeks and I'm at the RVC and had an offer from Glasgow. A lot of people I know there have a lot less than this (around 6 weeks) so its about the quality of your placements and what you've actually taken from them that's important rather than having weeks and weeks that you don't have much to say about when asked. A lot of people that have 20+ weeks have likely taken a gap year too so bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    I had around 45 and I'm now at the RVC, but also got offers from Edinburgh, Bristol and Liverpool.

As long as you have a decent amount, to an extent the variety of your placements matters more. A lot of what I did was from two long term placements that I did over the course of two years.

You might want to look at University Connect to see what amount of work experience people got in with. My experience is broken down into individual placements on my profile if you're interested.
    Did you take a gap year and get a lot of work experience in then? I currently have 4 weeks so I know I'm extremely unlikely to get in anywhere for 2017 entry (although that is what surrey ask for) so a gap year is becoming more of an option.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by B.Humphris99)
    Did you take a gap year and get a lot of work experience in then? I currently have 4 weeks so I know I'm extremely unlikely to get in anywhere for 2017 entry (although that is what surrey ask for) so a gap year is becoming more of an option.
    No, I didn't take a gap year. I applied while in year 13. As I said one of the reasons I got that much is because I had two long term placements; one every Sunday and one every Monday after college, both over two years.

Four weeks is also what RVC ask for. To an extent it is about how much you can show you've gained from your experience on your PS, but I agree that at the moment a gap year sounds like a good option for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.