The Student Room Group
Reply 1
University tutors are researchers, they work all year round.

I sometimes give my line manager if they've explicitly said to me "If you need a reference, just stick me down" otherwise I just stick the HR department down and let them sort it out.
Reply 2
Cheers. So what I mean is if i give them their (tutor's) contact details they should be OK to get hold of them? Wasn't sure whether they would be located at the Uni or not
Reply 3
They should be there, include their email address to be safe. I'm not sure what field you're in, but I'd imagine most academics check their email routinely.
Reply 4
K. one other thing, I seem to recall hearing that my personal tutor is on a sabatical this next academic year: would they still expect to give references or should I choose someone else
Reply 5
Ask him/her!! You should always out of courtesy ask your references before you give their details!
Reply 6
OK- next thing, when do you tell your current employer that they might be used as a reference (even if the application doesn't end in a job)?
Reply 7
I was only asked for a reference after I was offered my job. If your current place doesn't know you are leaving then request on any forms/CV that they do not contact them without asking first or something like that, look for examples on the internet.
Reply 8
I've seen Egs of CVs with 'References available on request'
Is that what I should put?
Yes. References are a waste of valuable CV space - companies will ask for them when they want them, and don't need them prior to that. In most cases references are a formality anyway, so most companies don't call up referees until the very end of the process, when they've pretty much decided they like you but just want to sanity-check that you're not a muppet.
eee-tee
I've seen Egs of CVs with 'References available on request'
Is that what I should put?

I always put the references on the end. Simply because it is polite not to make them request it. I would only put 'References on request' if my CV was getting seriously too long and there was nowhere else I could trim it down.

Latest

Trending

Trending