Turn on thread page Beta

References watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When giving references, is it customary to give your line manager, or head of personnel as one?
    Also, as an academic one, are university tutors available during the summer, or do they take leave like teachers?

ReputationRep:
    University tutors are researchers, they work all year round.

I sometimes give my line manager if they've explicitly said to me "If you need a reference, just stick me down" otherwise I just stick the HR department down and let them sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. So what I mean is if i give them their (tutor's) contact details they should be OK to get hold of them? Wasn't sure whether they would be located at the Uni or not

ReputationRep:
    They should be there, include their email address to be safe. I'm not sure what field you're in, but I'd imagine most academics check their email routinely.

ReputationRep:
    K. one other thing, I seem to recall hearing that my personal tutor is on a sabatical this next academic year: would they still expect to give references or should I choose someone else

ReputationRep:
    Ask him/her!! You should always out of courtesy ask your references before you give their details!

ReputationRep:
    OK- next thing, when do you tell your current employer that they might be used as a reference (even if the application doesn't end in a job)?

ReputationRep:
    I was only asked for a reference after I was offered my job. If your current place doesn't know you are leaving then request on any forms/CV that they do not contact them without asking first or something like that, look for examples on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen Egs of CVs with 'References available on request'
    Is that what I should put?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. References are a waste of valuable CV space - companies will ask for them when they want them, and don't need them prior to that. In most cases references are a formality anyway, so most companies don't call up referees until the very end of the process, when they've pretty much decided they like you but just want to sanity-check that you're not a muppet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eee-tee)
    I've seen Egs of CVs with 'References available on request'
    Is that what I should put?
    I always put the references on the end. Simply because it is polite not to make them request it. I would only put 'References on request' if my CV was getting seriously too long and there was nowhere else I could trim it down.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.