Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Long-term relationship problem-help! watch

Im having a problem in a long term relationship im in and hoped someone could give some advice.

I've been with a really great guy for over 2 years now and although we've had our low points I'd say it was a pretty good relationship.

However, a few months ago i met another guy at a school I'd moved to and, despite being able to completely ignore every other male, i struggled to stop thinking about this one. We had mutual friends so ended up together often and became good friends.

My head got really confused and i forced myself to stop talking to him and focus on my boyfriend, whom i loved. BUT, recently I've ended up spending time with the other guy again due to being at festivals and being back at school, and the feelings have come straight back (its like they hit me at like 100mph).

I really dont know what to do. Its starting to make me reevaluate my relationship - we have one uear left of a levels before he goes to uni and i stay at home (im almost 18). When i see my boyfriend im happy and i love him but as soon as the other guy pops into my head its all i can think about. I feel as though im beginning to become restless in my relationship and i miss the freedom.

Help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im having a problem in a long term relationship im in and hoped someone could give some advice.

I've been with a really great guy for over 2 years now and although we've had our low points I'd say it was a pretty good relationship.

However, a few months ago i met another guy at a school I'd moved to and, despite being able to completely ignore every other male, i struggled to stop thinking about this one. We had mutual friends so ended up together often and became good friends.

My head got really confused and i forced myself to stop talking to him and focus on my boyfriend, whom i loved. BUT, recently I've ended up spending time with the other guy again due to being at festivals and being back at school, and the feelings have come straight back (its like they hit me at like 100mph).

I really dont know what to do. Its starting to make me reevaluate my relationship - we have one uear left of a levels before he goes to uni and i stay at home (im almost 18). When i see my boyfriend im happy and i love him but as soon as the other guy pops into my head its all i can think about. I feel as though im beginning to become restless in my relationship and i miss the freedom.

Help
    What you need to evaluate here about your relationship with your boyfriend is, do you see an end goal or are you drifting? Don't stay with your boyfriend if there's no end goal here i.e one of you moving to the country/town the other one is at or being together together at some point. If you really cannot control your feelings for this new guy and can see yourself with him, then your answer is right there

(Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    What you need to evaluate here about your relationship with your boyfriend is, do you see an end goal or are you drifting? Don't stay with your boyfriend if there's no end goal here i.e one of you moving to the country/town the other one is at or being together together at some point. If you really cannot control your feelings for this new guy and can see yourself with him, then your answer is right there
    Youre completely right. We have such a positive relationship yet theres a doubt in the back of my mind that just doesnt seem to go away. I'm absolutely terrified to break his heart he knows about the first time the boy got into my head but he's away right now & doesnt know about this time. I haven't a clue what to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Youre completely right. We have such a positive relationship yet theres a doubt in the back of my mind that just doesnt seem to go away. I'm absolutely terrified to break his heart he knows about the first time the boy got into my head but he's away right now & doesnt know about this time. I haven't a clue what to say.
    Take some time to focus on you, strip down your feelings to get an idea of what you want. It could be that it's not so much this guy you like but the fact that he's here whereas right now your boyfriend isn't and you miss him. Silly as it sounds you can even draw up a list about your boyfriend and this guy, writing all the positives and negatives if it helps you to clear your head.
    I know you're worried about breaking your boyfriends heart, but ultimately he'll be hurt more in the long term if you stay with him when your hearts not entirely in the relationship

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.