The Student Room Group

unrestricted modules?

Hey, I'm going into my first year. Just wondering, it says u can pick up to 120 credits. If u pick all 120 is that like a jam packed timetable or do u still get a lot of free time?
Also what's it like doing a language alongside ur subject which is totally unrelated? Can the workload sort of distract u from your actual course or is it alright?
Are you sure you can pick any 120 credits? Usually your first year is more or less compulsory modules to give you the basic knowledge required and yes you have to do a certain number of credits. Lots of people learn a language alongside their course but make sure you manage your time well and stay on top of everything. Maybe wait till after the first term when you've settled in to look into this?
Are you sure you aren't required to pick EXACTLY 120 credits and not up to 120 credits? I recommend choosing courses that are outwith your own degree because it serves as a bit of change from your main degree. 120 credits in a year is a full time student, but you will still have plenty of free time so don't worry.
you have to do 120 credits a year on normal university courses... whether that means you're in university 5 hours a week or 25 hours a week depends on how your course is structured as some modules have more contact time than others - but it is a full university workload

whether a language works alongside is probably a bit dependent on your course and other interests... if you're doing an intense maths/engineering course you're going to struggle more for time than if you're doing english, likewise if you already have several hobbies you will have less time but it should be perfectly doable and you can always drop it if it's too much!

Quick Reply

Latest