Windows XP Problem Watch

This discussion is closed.
IronMaidenRTS
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Before I write about my problem, I want to know if you have Windows XP but you cant access even in safe mode. How do you use the DOS command chkdsk /f ?

I tried to download DOS boots on the internet but when I type c: it doesnt work, it doesnt recognize the drive c. I tried booting with the Windows XP Cd and choosing repair but it ask me for my administrator password which I dont have and which I never inputed. I am owner of the computer.

What can I do?
Valen
Report 14 years ago
Boot the windows CD and goto recovery console.

Dos disks dont work because your hard disk will be formatted with the NTFS file system which DOS doesnt support.
IronMaidenRTS
It asks me for an administrator password. My username doesnt have a password, what do I do?
austinmetro
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
thats the password set up when u install windows.

Who installed it, if it was you, you should remember.

If it wasn't, u need to find the person who did and ask.

thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by IronMaidenRTS)
It asks me for an administrator password. My username doesnt have a password, what do I do?
Have you tried just pressing Enter and letting it go through? If you can't remember setting one, there might not be a password set.

Alternatively, Recovery Console might be totally disabled if the administrator account doesn't have a password, as a security feature. In which case you are buggered.
IronMaidenRTS
Ok, I got the password.

I tried the chkdsk and everything is fine. My computer just comes with this blue screen every time I turn on the computer. The good news is that I can format now. The bad news is that I don't want to. I can even access Windows on safe mode.

This happened when I tried to install another version of linux on my computer in the same hard drive. So I wanted to format a partition that I have with another version but I couldn't get to the DOS mode, so I tried reinstalling or repairing windows and then the problems (blue screen)started.
operato
Report 14 years ago
back up every so often then you wouldn't have to worry about losing data
Valen
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by IronMaidenRTS)
Ok, I got the password.

I tried the chkdsk and everything is fine. My computer just comes with this blue screen every time I turn on the computer. The good news is that I can format now. The bad news is that I don't want to. I can even access Windows on safe mode.

This happened when I tried to install another version of linux on my computer in the same hard drive. So I wanted to format a partition that I have with another version but I couldn't get to the DOS mode, so I tried reinstalling or repairing windows and then the problems (blue screen)started.
What is the error message? If it is something about unable to mount hard disk or something like that then you want to enter the recovery console and use these commands. These repair the bootsector and master boot record respectively, something your chkdsk /f dosent do.

fixboot [DRIVE LETTER]

fixmbr

The fact that you cant access windows at all implies that your bootsector/master boot record are corrupt, in which case this should solve your problems.
IronMaidenRTS
Thanks for the info. I am gonna try those commands.

The blue screen message shows the following:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer."

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000004E (0x00000099, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I cannot access windows in Safe Mode.
IronMaidenRTS
Those commands didnt work.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (495)
91.16%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (48)
8.84%

Watched Threads