Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 4 full A level subjects in total - Maths, Further Maths, Psychology & Economics.

I did the full Maths A level last year as well as AS Psychology and AS Economics, and I got As in all of them. Doing the full Further Maths A Level this year, with A2s in Psychology and Economics.

I want to do a degree in Economics. And my parents really really really want me to apply to Cambridge for it. But I know my capabilities. I only got an A in Maths A Level. I have seniors who got 4A*s (one of them even taught herself a subject), and even they didn't get into Cambridge. I feel like if I apply, that's just another space on my UCAS application wasted and that I'm reaching a bit too far. Applications for Oxbridge close very early as well and I haven't even completed my personal statement. I've tried talking to my parents about not applying to Oxbridge but they got really upset with me afterwards, I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelienine)
    I'm doing 4 full A level subjects in total - Maths, Further Maths, Psychology & Economics.

I did the full Maths A level last year as well as AS Psychology and AS Economics, and I got As in all of them. Doing the full Further Maths A Level this year, with A2s in Psychology and Economics.

I want to do a degree in Economics. And my parents really really really want me to apply to Cambridge for it. But I know my capabilities. I only got an A in Maths A Level. I have seniors who got 4A*s (one of them even taught herself a subject), and even they didn't get into Cambridge. I feel like if I apply, that's just another space on my UCAS application wasted and that I'm reaching a bit too far. Applications for Oxbridge close very early as well and I haven't even completed my personal statement. I've tried talking to my parents about not applying to Oxbridge but they got really upset with me afterwards, I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

Apply if you want to apply; don't worry about application statistics, I got in even though I didn't get the 'typical' grades of a Cambridge student.

However, if you don't want to actually go to Oxbridge then don't apply.

ReputationRep:

Any advice?
    first things first, congratulations on your amazing grades. Remember that your parents are trying to do what's best for you but the only advice I can say is to keep telling them you don't want Oxbridge but explain why and in a nice way lol. At the end of the day, study economics where you wish, because you will be studying the course for 3/4 years, not your parents. That's what I did because I was in the same-ish situation as you
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Any advice?
    So nevermind your parents... But the typical offer for Economics is A*A*A. It's an extremely competitive course at Cambridge and unfortunately your A in Maths is likely to weaken your application significantly, an A* is pretty much required.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemgawd99)
    first things first,
    I'm da realest

ReputationRep:
    It is very important for you to trust your gut feeling, which is perfectly legitimate.

Perhaps the argument you can make to your parents is to use information that jneil provided regarding the stats, saying it is "impossible" (even if it isn't) if they don't want to hear about your misgivings. You might also try to visit with them and impress upon them that you don't feel right about Cam.

ReputationRep:

Any advice?
    First thing first.
    Let's forget about what your parents want you to do. It's your life, it's you choice. Their role is in supporting you for what you're aspired to do, not making a decision for you. And this is coming from someone who is also a parent.

Secondly, economics at Cambridge (and Oxford, too, I've heard) is very maths-heavy. If you decide you really want to apply to Cambridge successfully, probably you need to make to improve you grade in maths, and ideally go on to do FM as well, if you want to be competitive.
    But if maths is not your one of favourite subjects, you may not enjoy economics course at Cambridge. So you may find other unis more to your liking.

Courses at universities can be vary different from uni to uni, even they come under a same name. Things they cover can be different and the methods of teaching are different, too.

Have a very careful look at economic courses at various unis, then choose the one you like the course, NOT the name of uni.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably have to make a decision on where you want to go pretty early on. I'd definitely suggest applying before the oxbridge deadline, you'll get some nice offers elsewhere

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.