Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    for months i had just decided i wanted to do engineering for a few reasons; one being some of my friends and teachers mentioned it, it seems good career prospects etc. but now ive realised that im actually way more interested in astro physics and particle physics, is it worth doing a degree in these subjects instead of engineering, will i be able to find a good job if i did?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CameronSmith98)
    for months i had just decided i wanted to do engineering for a few reasons; one being some of my friends and teachers mentioned it, it seems good career prospects etc. but now ive realised that im actually way more interested in astro physics and particle physics, is it worth doing a degree in these subjects instead of engineering, will i be able to find a good job if i did?
    What kind of jobs are you looking to get? If it's a career in engineering, then a physics degree will often not suffice as a suitable qualification for securing graduate/entry level jobs, but otherwise, physics still provides strong opportunities in IT, finance, teaching etc.

ReputationRep:
    You could do a bachelor's degree in Physics then a master's in engineering if you decide you'd rather work in engineering, or do an engineering degree and work in particle physics, the latter is a bit riskier though as there aren't a whole lot of jobs out there for engineers in particle physics (though they are out there).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.