Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    I am graduating next year, hence I am applying for graduate positions this year. Two firms have already tried to head hunt me from LinkedIn (which is awesome, but they're definitely back up choices for me). Both of those firms are firms I had planned to apply to, but only as back up choices if my first choice doesn't work out.

    What is the etiquette for this situation? I won't find out about my first choice until December, so it's a long period to wait and I have to get in touch with the other firms in that time.

    This also extends to other firms that I will be applying for as a back up (there are firms that I want to work for far more than the two I have had offers from). What happens if they offer me something before my ideal firm does? I don't think I can just accept and then rescind my acceptance, but I also can't leave them hanging for months until the other firm complete their recruitment activities.

    Any advice?
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    I am graduating next year, hence I am applying for graduate positions this year. Two firms have already tried to head hunt me from LinkedIn (which is awesome, but they're definitely back up choices for me). Both of those firms are firms I had planned to apply to, but only as back up choices if my first choice doesn't work out.

    What is the etiquette for this situation? I won't find out about my first choice until December, so it's a long period to wait and I have to get in touch with the other firms in that time.

    This also extends to other firms that I will be applying for as a back up (there are firms that I want to work for far more than the two I have had offers from). What happens if they offer me something before my ideal firm does? I don't think I can just accept and then rescind my acceptance, but I also can't leave them hanging for months until the other firm complete their recruitment activities.

    Any advice?
    Reneging on offers is pretty common. You might want to read this:

    http://advice.milkround.com/are-you-...-offer-hoarder

    My advice would be to ask for an extension of period of time to consider offers. If that isn't possible or would be far too long (over 2 months), then hold only one offer and then decline it as soon as you have your higher preference. There's no reason to hold more than one offer.

    As long as you give the potential employer at least 3 months notice before you are due to join, they are more likely to find a replacement.


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Reneging on offers is pretty common. You might want to read this:

    http://advice.milkround.com/are-you-...-offer-hoarder

    My advice would be to ask for an extension of period of time to consider offers. If that isn't possible or would be far too long (over 2 months), then hold only one offer and then decline it as soon as you have your higher preference. There's no reason to hold more than one offer.

    As long as you give the potential employer at least 3 months notice before you are due to join, they are more likely to find a replacement.


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I wouldn't accept lots of offers as it's simply not fair to accept multiple offers that I wouldn't want to/be able to fill, I'd just hold one and then wait and see what happens with the firm I really want to work for. I will definitely take your advice on board!

    I guess I was a bit worried to ask for more time to make my decision in case the firm were like "well if you're not sure then we take it back" ahah.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    Thank you! I wouldn't accept lots of offers as it's simply not fair to accept multiple offers that I wouldn't want to/be able to fill, I'd just hold one and then wait and see what happens with the firm I really want to work for. I will definitely take your advice on board!

    I guess I was a bit worried to ask for more time to make my decision in case the firm were like "well if you're not sure then we take it back" ahah.
    Unlikely that will happen. Any decent recruiter would expect a decent candidate to have multiple options.

    You can buy some time until you get a formal written offer. You can then drag it out a bit saying you are considering the offer and want some time to think about it.

    You can always ask the other potential employer whether there is any flexibility with their recruitment timescales and see if they can bring the decision process on your application/interview forward.

    It's one of the strange things about graduate recruitment - it's one of the rare situations where you are generally recruited many months (and in some cases years) before you are due to join.

    Just be mindful of any financial commitments that might tie you to the organisation too, such as them providing you with some form of sponsorship/training upfront.


    Posted from TSR Mobile
 
 
 
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.