Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I recently graduated this summer and I wish to carry on my studies with entry being 2017. I am interested in applying for a second Undergraduate Adult Nursing course however I am unsure about my eligibility for having my tuition fees paid for and any maintenance loans I can receive to help me while I study. I have been researching across the student finance and government webpages and I came across this.

    'We intend that students studying nursing, midwifery and the allied health subjects as a second degree will also be able to get student loans.To support students who are planning to undertake nursing, midwifery and allied health professional subjects as a second degree, the government will put in place an exemption to enable these students to access the standard student support system, just like students studying for a first degree.

    Does this mean I will receive full tuition fee payment and have access to full maintenance loans to help me with my studies?

    Many Thanks

    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Sophio06)
    Does this mean I will receive full tuition fee payment and have access to full maintenance loans to help me with my studies?
    It means you will have access to tuition fee and maintenance loans, yes. Unfortunately the government no longer pays the tuition fees for NHS degrees. This shouldn't really matter though; on a nurse's salary you're unlikely ever to fully repay your first student loan, let alone your second one.
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

    The funding for NHS courses has not yet been fully released as yet.

    If the NHS no longer funds these courses in the future then it is likely Student Finance will offer full funding for them as they do other courses, and as they are currently exempt from previous study rules, it's also likely this will continue.

    Essentially, yes, you will be able to apply for funding for these courses as a second degree.

Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.