Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

After recieving my GCSE results with great disappointment, I'd like to ask if there would be any point in applying to certain universities which state that their average applicant has such and such number of A*s. I know my grades are good but are they competitive enough or good enough for unis? I got 4A*s 4As 2Bs and a C for an A level language.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello, there! Your grades aren't terrible at all!

In fact I'm confident that you can still apply to several med schools, even many great ones like UCL and Cambridge, which don't really care about your GCSEs. I think you should have a look around as different med schools place different weightings on GCSEs. (I know for a fact that Cardiff, Oxford and St. Andrews really factor in your GCSE grades) You can try checking their respective websites.

Anyway what's done is done. I hope you're not too disheartened by your GCSE results, it's really not the end. I'm sure you'll do great if you study hard for your A levels, don't give up! One of my friends got really low GCSEs but still received four offers for medicine, it's all about strategy really.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Don't concentrate on what the stats say the average applicant have.

Apply to your strengths. Meet the entry requirements. And then find out if they have a scoring system or a cut off system etc. See how you and your grades fair with their selection process.

Also: your grades are nothing to worry about. They're fine for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayott)
    Hello, there! Your grades aren't terrible at all!

In fact I'm confident that you can still apply to several med schools, even many great ones like UCL and Cambridge, which don't really care about your GCSEs. I think you should have a look around as different med schools place different weightings on GCSEs. (I know for a fact that Cardiff, Oxford and St. Andrews really factor in your GCSE grades) You can try checking their respective websites.

Anyway what's done is done. I hope you're not too disheartened by your GCSE results, it's really not the end. I'm sure you'll do great if you study hard for your A levels, don't give up! One of my friends got really low GCSEs but still received four offers for medicine, it's all about strategy really.

Good luck!
    Hm okay thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Hi again
    If anyone could reply I'd really appreciate it. I checked St George's minimum entry requirements but I only achieved the minimum, nothing higher, and I really like this uni. For example they asked for 416 points from top eight subjects for GCSE and I have exactly that. Do you think they'd still consider me if I had everything else even if other applicants have amazing GCSE grades?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Hi again
    If anyone could reply I'd really appreciate it. I checked St George's minimum entry requirements but I only achieved the minimum, nothing higher, and I really like this uni. For example they asked for 416 points from top eight subjects for GCSE and I have exactly that. Do you think they'd still consider me if I had everything else even if other applicants have amazing GCSE grades?
    They should consider you because you qualify with the minimum entry requirements, and therefore they have a duty to do so.

As well as sorting candidates by grading their GCSEs, St George's tend to have a fairly high UKCAT cut off (last year was around 650) so you need to make sure you ace the UKCAT!

Hope the above helps,
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are fine for medicine. I know plenty of people who got into medical school with less A*s than you or similar stats. Not all medicine applicants will have 10A*s, some will but many have grades that resemble yours. Just stay clear of GCSE heavy medical schools like Cardiff and Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.