Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any point in taking modules based on EU law/directives? Watch

ReputationRep:
    See above, due to Brexit and all that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you need the credits and your only options are EU based, then yes. If not, I wouldn't bother. Regardless of whether brexit goes ahead or not, we'll no doubt have big changes coming up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newsunflower)
    See above, due to Brexit and all that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    If you need the credits and your only options are EU based, then yes. If not, I wouldn't bother. Regardless of whether brexit goes ahead or not, we'll no doubt have big changes coming up.
    Yes, I'd say now more than ever. The fact that there are big changes coming up makes it an even more interesting area to study. Plus, the civil service is going to have to take on huge numbers of staff to negotiate our exit from the EU. Our law has to be disentangled from EU law. We haven't left yet, this is all still hugely relevant to us. It's very interesting and, in the short term at the very least, but in all likelihood in the long term too, there's going to be some extra jobs in it coming up.

Plus - we still have no idea what our status is going to be when we leave. It is incredibly likely that we will still have some kinds of deals with Europe which will make knowledge of EU law still very important and relevant, particularly on trade and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    Yes, I'd say now more than ever. The fact that there are big changes coming up makes it an even more interesting area to study. Plus, the civil service is going to have to take on huge numbers of staff to negotiate our exit from the EU. Our law has to be disentangled from EU law. We haven't left yet, this is all still hugely relevant to us. It's very interesting and, in the short term at the very least, but in all likelihood in the long term too, there's going to be some extra jobs in it coming up.

Plus - we still have no idea what our status is going to be when we leave. It is incredibly likely that we will still have some kinds of deals with Europe which will make knowledge of EU law still very important and relevant, particularly on trade and things like that.
    You're right actually, I didn't even think about what I was saying there. I was just coming from a place of bitterness after spending 12 weeks on a miserable module that was entirely based around EU requirements to then be told that our stupid country wanted to leave the EU.Realistically, I do think the changes are going to be very interesting, but I will say that if you aren't super interested or you aren't going to be working somewhere that will require intense knowledge of the current EU systems, then I would still avoid those modules. It's a bit **** knowing that what you're learning is going to be void soon (obviously not applicable to everything, but for the module I did, it is likely that most of it will be void).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    You're right actually, I didn't even think about what I was saying there. I was just coming from a place of bitterness after spending 12 weeks on a miserable module that was entirely based around EU requirements to then be told that our stupid country wanted to leave the EU.Realistically, I do think the changes are going to be very interesting, but I will say that if you aren't super interested or you aren't going to be working somewhere that will require intense knowledge of the current EU systems, then I would still avoid those modules. It's a bit **** knowing that what you're learning is going to be void soon (obviously not applicable to everything, but for the module I did, it is likely that most of it will be void).
    For sure, I definitely understand the frustration! But the opportunities to work on the process is a silver lining for those who are interested in it. Also, depending on your actual module and the content, it can continue to be relevant, just not in the same way. Many people study US law / politics, or Europe, or wherever, just because of its relevance to the global community in general, if not necessarily directly to the UK.

But yeah, it's a **** and uncertain situation we are in

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.