The Student Room Group

Why do most students choose to move when going uni

At home you have free accomodation, free food, someone to iron your clothes, you don't have to buy cooking utensils and you won't commute back and forth

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wanted to get out of Northern Ireland.

Independence is amazing.

Also, if you live at home during uni parents may expect you to contribute to the household (ie rent and food money).
Wanting to get away from annoying, controlling parents.
some people don't live close to any good unis
Reply 4
Original post by I am Kira
At home you have free accomodation, free food, someone to iron your clothes, you don't have to buy cooking utensils and you won't commute back and forth

For starters not everyone lives near a good uni or they do not like their local uni (they may not offer the course they want, or elhave terrible course structure).

My reason for moving out: be more independent and far less stress (its impossible to study at home as I'm always disrupted by someone), plus I'm sick and tired of living here and my uni location is pretty awesome.

Everyone has their reasons :tongue:
The uni in my town is one of the worst universities in this country and doesn't do the course I want

Most intelligent people realise that this is a natural and timely opportunity to cut the apron strings and to learn to live independently, and start to accept some of the responsibilities that go with it.

If you aren't ready for that then, by all means, continue your cocooned and possibly controlled existence with your parents.
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
Most intelligent people realise that this is a natural and timely opportunity to cut the apron strings and to learn to live independently, and start to accept some of the responsibilities that go with it.

If you aren't ready for that then, by all means, continue your cocooned and possibly controlled existence with your parents.

Lol I'm not controlled at all, I do what I want most of the time
I'd rather focus on my studies than taking on new responisibities plus I don't want to be a financial burded on my parents :tongue:
Well depends if your uni is far from where you live.
Like no uni near me that I could even have the choice to live at home do my course so I have to move.
Also my parents aren't my slaves and therefore don't do stuff like my ironing for me - I feel those people who's parents do everything for them should be the ones to definitely move out.
Reply 9
Original post by tcameron
Well depends if your uni is far from where you live.
Like no uni near me that I could even have the choice to live at home do my course so I have to move.
Also my parents aren't my slaves and therefore don't do stuff like my ironing for me - I feel those people who's parents do everything for them should be the ones to definitely move out.

My parents don't do everything you know, I do my own cooking and cleaning
Lol I'm not controlled at all, I do what I want most of the time
I'd rather focus on my studies than taking on new responisibities plus I don't want to be a financial burded on my parents :tongue:

Same, im staying home bc i live near a good uni and id rather stay at home and save money which would leave me with less debt when graduating.
My parents don't do everything you know, I do my own cooking and cleaning

So then why would it be such a bother to do those when you aren't under their roof?
I'm going to have to learn to become more independent one day so might as well start now.

Also, the uni's I wanted to go to weren't really close.
Independence, independence and independence.
I am planning to move out. I live in London and am hoping to get into Kings College next year, but not live in central London so it takes around an hour to get there.
Of course, this isn't long. But some nights I may want to study in the uni library until late, go out with a society, or just would not be bothered to travel home after lectures.

Aside from that there is the social aspects and the independence. I had grown up in London and so it would be great to live near the thames and feel closer to the university. My degree would give me access to people that can develop my career and make links and I want to be free to spend time with them. The same with my other out-of-London options. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm glad that you feel happy but for many people, the truth is they will find better things moving away. Be it a better university, more opportunities etc. This is probably going to be the easiest time in your life to see what the world is like before you graduate and go crawling back to your home town and are forced to live with your parents until you're 30.

I have everything I need at home except independence and now I've tasted that at university, I could never look back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by tcameron
So then why would it be such a bother to do those when you aren't under their roof?

It's a lot less stress, I don't have to do it all the time unlike when you're independent
Reply 17
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Same, im staying home bc i live near a good uni and id rather stay at home and save money which would leave me with less debt when graduating.

finally someones whos logical and realistic
Gain independence

more freedom

easier to go clubbing with mates

make life long friends

full experience of the uni life

easier to meet new people around your student accommodation

I can only see introverts not wanting to move out.

Because there are hardly any universities around where I live and the ones that are, are either really bad or don't do the course I want, so I didn't have a choice unless I wanted to commute 2 and a half hours to uni and back every day. Trust me I would've stayed at home if I could I don't wanna leave my cats bro

Quick Reply

Latest