If your course is in clearing..... Watch

koops
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
does it mean that there more likely to be less strict and let you off grades for the course?

EG - Biomedical Science was in clearing 2006. If i applied in 2006 and needed ABB and got BBC, would they be likely to let me in? (the course had 2 spaces in clearing)

I hope people know what imean. +reps for anyone with anything useful about this kinda stuff
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by koops)
does it mean that there more likely to be less strict and let you off grades for the course?

EG - Biomedical Science was in clearing 2006. If i applied in 2006 and needed ABB and got BBC, would they be likely to let me in? (the course had 2 spaces in clearing)

I hope people know what imean. +reps for anyone with anything useful about this kinda stuff
As a general principle, unis prefer to take people they know were interested enough to make them a firm choice rather than random types turning up through Clearing. So, if you dropped a grade or even two (depending on the outfit concerned) there's a good chance that they would let you in, particularly if it's a "near miss". It may depend on which subject you'd dropped the grade/s in (biology might be more of a problem than French for example) but again this will vary according to the uni.

If your course was in Clearing last year, and was in Extra this year (you can check on ucas.com, the Extra listings are still there), there is a good chance it will be in Clearing again this year, which would certainly be helpful from your point of view.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A uni and course is being in Clearing last year (and Extra this year, if it was) is definitely a good thing because it means they generally struggle to fill their places, so they can't afford to be as strict with entry requirements as they may have liked. Generally, at a lot of unis for a lot of courses, dropping 2 grades still gives you a reasonably good chance of getting in because it's unlikely that the majority of Clearing applicants will have better grades and they'd rather take a firm or insurance applicant who they know actually wants to go there.
koops
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
things are looking slightly brighter than. i just hope there are not more applicants for the course this year!
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well surely they will take people who actually applied to them before randoms from clearing whose grades are no better? You'll probably be ok. It's about my only hope of getting into York, actually. I know they tend to give reduced offers to fill their places, so I can only hope.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (77)
29.96%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.2%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.84%

Watched Threads