Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I need to decide a career path pretty quickly, but I keep changing my mind! Suggestions, reassurance and advice would be well appreciated.

-I have just completed year 12. My AS grades were media- C sociology- C psychology-D law-E
    -I have dropped psychology so am doing the other 3 subjects at A level
    -I was dead set on a career in law either through a law degree or apprenteaship, but the E grade is giving me second thoughts
    -I am considering social work but am not sure if I have the tolerance for the types of people I would have to work with and be able to distance myself from the terrible things I may see
    -I have seen a 'learning support' foundation degree however it has low entry requirements and would be my last choice. I wouldn't mind teaching children with learning difficulties
    -I would rather do an apprenteaship than a degree
    -I am applying for university courses this month!
    -I have a fairly good CV with 2 years voluntary work and 3 years as a cadet

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need to decide right now? You could take some time out of education to work/volunteer and decide what you want to do with your life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    Why do you need to decide right now? You could take some time out of education to work/volunteer and decide what you want to do with your life
    Because I'm applying for university next month. I don't really want to take a whole year out of education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maisieaa)
    Because I'm applying for university next month. I don't really want to take a whole year out of education
    Fair enough but I would say don't go to university just for the sake of it. A lot of my friends did this and found they didn't want a career in what they've studied/ couldn't get a career. However, if you are really adamant you want to go, pick a course where you will get a range of transferable skills so you can apply for a range of jobs

OR if you are debating between certain courses make a chart of pros and cons of each job e.g. job demand, workload at university, intensity of course, module of each of your universities which interest you etc. and go from there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.