The Student Room Group

I don't know what career path to go down

Ok so I need to decide a career path pretty quickly, but I keep changing my mind! Suggestions, reassurance and advice would be well appreciated.

-I have just completed year 12. My AS grades were media- C sociology- C psychology-D law-E
-I have dropped psychology so am doing the other 3 subjects at A level
-I was dead set on a career in law either through a law degree or apprenteaship, but the E grade is giving me second thoughts
-I am considering social work but am not sure if I have the tolerance for the types of people I would have to work with and be able to distance myself from the terrible things I may see
-I have seen a 'learning support' foundation degree however it has low entry requirements and would be my last choice. I wouldn't mind teaching children with learning difficulties
-I would rather do an apprenteaship than a degree
-I am applying for university courses this month!
-I have a fairly good CV with 2 years voluntary work and 3 years as a cadet

Thank you in advance
Reply 1
Why do you need to decide right now? You could take some time out of education to work/volunteer and decide what you want to do with your life
Reply 2
Original post by Tw1x
Why do you need to decide right now? You could take some time out of education to work/volunteer and decide what you want to do with your life

Because I'm applying for university next month. I don't really want to take a whole year out of education
Reply 3
Original post by maisieaa
Because I'm applying for university next month. I don't really want to take a whole year out of education

Fair enough but I would say don't go to university just for the sake of it. A lot of my friends did this and found they didn't want a career in what they've studied/ couldn't get a career. However, if you are really adamant you want to go, pick a course where you will get a range of transferable skills so you can apply for a range of jobs

OR if you are debating between certain courses make a chart of pros and cons of each job e.g. job demand, workload at university, intensity of course, module of each of your universities which interest you etc. and go from there
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending