Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you do when you're feeling down? Watch

I've been assessed as depressed before but my family wouldn't accept it so I couldn't get any professional help for it. It took me months of trying to help myself to get out of that problem and eventually I did but it was rough and horrible.

Lately I've been feeling like I'm going to end up back in that place again. All the signs are there are I'm trying to pull myself out of it, but it's so hard. I've only got one proper friend for whom I'm just one of many of her friends, and as I said my family aren't responsive to this kind of thing so I feel like I have no one. It's so hard and I'm trying to tell myself that when I move to go to uni it will be better, but if it isn't I don't know how I'll cope.

I've been randomly crying and barely leaving my bed, and nothing I try to do to make me feel better works out, I can't even really go anywhere because the weather is terrible and I've been eating terribly which is just making things worse.

I'm just so scared because last time I felt this bad I didn't cope well at all, so does anyone have any kind of advice please because I really don't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    you'll have the people who know what it feels like and how they manage to cope with it.* it probably won't go away forever so learning from them is key to your survival.
    *and by that, i mean those on tsr. it's strange how you can be open about mental health in a place you wouldn't be open about most things in case of bullying, yet it's the ones closest to you that are most likely to be ignorant about mental health. I've been through it too.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously getting some professional help is the best option for you, but if you can't, there are 'self-help' options.

One thing that you might find helpful is to completely immerse yourself in a certain topic - something completely obscure that perhaps you wouldn't ordinarily think about. So you might decide to find out about cardiology, neuroscience, quantum mechanics, black holes, the Roman Empire, the UK political system, the US political system, the anatomy and physiology of an owl, the air traffic management systems at Heathrow, or something else entirely - the idea is to look at something which is so obscure to you and so different to what is currently occupying your mind that you 'forget' the depression (I'm not a fan of the term 'forget' in this sense; it implies that you are able to just spontaneously stop feeling depressed, which of course is - sadly - not the case), if only for thirty minutes/an hour. You never know, you might even find something which you are really interested in!

Hopefully that helps you!

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    you'll have the people who know what it feels like and how they manage to cope with it.* it probably won't go away forever so learning from them is key to your survival.
    *and by that, i mean those on tsr. it's strange how you can be open about mental health in a place you wouldn't be open about most things in case of bullying, yet it's the ones closest to you that are most likely to be ignorant about mental health. I've been through it too.
    Most posts on here just say to talk to someone and I don't have that option and no one else has responded so tsr isn't really that helpful right now do you know anything else i can do

(Original post by SummerStrawberry)
    Obviously getting some professional help is the best option for you, but if you can't, there are 'self-help' options.

One thing that you might find helpful is to completely immerse yourself in a certain topic - something completely obscure that perhaps you wouldn't ordinarily think about. So you might decide to find out about cardiology, neuroscience, quantum mechanics, black holes, the Roman Empire, the UK political system, the US political system, the anatomy and physiology of an owl, the air traffic management systems at Heathrow, or something else entirely - the idea is to look at something which is so obscure to you and so different to what is currently occupying your mind that you 'forget' the depression (I'm not a fan of the term 'forget' in this sense; it implies that you are able to just spontaneously stop feeling depressed, which of course is - sadly - not the case), if only for thirty minutes/an hour. You never know, you might even find something which you are really interested in!

Hopefully that helps you!
    How would I do this, reading wikipedia or something like that? I have a short attention span I'm not sure if I could do that for that long but I will try it, thank you for replying it means a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How would I do this, reading wikipedia or something like that? I have a short attention span I'm not sure if I could do that for that long but I will try it, thank you for replying it means a lot
    Wikipedia is an excellent place to start, but there are all sorts of places to look at. Try YouTube channels such as Vsauce or Kurzgesagt, and have a look through the source links in the video descriptions - you can spend hours going through all sorts of interesting topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been assessed as depressed before but my family wouldn't accept it so I couldn't get any professional help for it. It took me months of trying to help myself to get out of that problem and eventually I did but it was rough and horrible.

Lately I've been feeling like I'm going to end up back in that place again. All the signs are there are I'm trying to pull myself out of it, but it's so hard. I've only got one proper friend for whom I'm just one of many of her friends, and as I said my family aren't responsive to this kind of thing so I feel like I have no one. It's so hard and I'm trying to tell myself that when I move to go to uni it will be better, but if it isn't I don't know how I'll cope.

I've been randomly crying and barely leaving my bed, and nothing I try to do to make me feel better works out, I can't even really go anywhere because the weather is terrible and I've been eating terribly which is just making things worse.

I'm just so scared because last time I felt this bad I didn't cope well at all, so does anyone have any kind of advice please because I really don't know what to do
    I don't have any advice or an answer for you, but please please just know that you are not alone in the way you feel.
    I read your post and it was almost as if I had written it myself.
    feel free to message me if you want to talk to someone
    I hope things work out for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do something that you love or even listen to upbeat music! When I start to feel depressed I know it, so I immediately ignore my surroundings and put music on (I listen to EDM as the bass takes me away). If that option is not available then I would draw. Now my drawing skills are pretty bad compared to most people, but I draw about absolutely anything, maybe something that I did an hour ago. As long as it is something creative to kick start my mental processing again to keep myself distracted from a fall towards depression! That's what I do when I'm feeling down.

ReputationRep:
    Listen to Sigur Rós.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Big_E)
    Listen to Sigur Rós.
    Exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.