Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

please help :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished the first week of year 12, and I am quite overwhelmed. I usually am able to understand well but for biology,chem and maths I'm finding it harder to grasp the concepts in class which did not happen to me before. This is making me very stressed and thinking I may not be cut out for my subjects... Personally, I know that my personality and my current emotional state has a role to play in this but I don't know what to do. I have a very negative and fearful view of my ALevels despite achieving great gcse results but I know I can excel if I just believe in myself,but that for me is the hardest thing to do. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Sorry for the ramble.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgys44)
    I have just finished the first week of year 12, and I am quite overwhelmed. I usually am able to understand well but for biology,chem and maths I'm finding it harder to grasp the concepts in class which did not happen to me before. This is making me very stressed and thinking I may not be cut out for my subjects... Personally, I know that my personality and my current emotional state has a role to play in this but I don't know what to do. I have a very negative and fearful view of my ALevels despite achieving great gcse results but I know I can excel if I just believe in myself,but that for me is the hardest thing to do. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Sorry for the ramble.
    You'll be ok if you don't fall behind and ask for help when you don't understand concepts (and don't just say you understand something when you still don't haha), apart from understanding concepts, the rest of it is a matter of just investing time into getting memorised what needs to be memorised and doing past papers/individual past paper questions when you're able

keeping up is definitely the most important thing to not getting overwhelmed with stuff you don't understand imo

ReputationRep:

Sorry for the ramble.
    You JUST started A levels, most people if not all new A level students are feeling overwhelmed, and it's only natural. You're not used to the new system you're gonna have to deal with yet and that's normal, give it some more time until you adapt to these changes - you shouldn't feel so stressed then

P.S. Always have a timetable/schedule and stick with it! There is no room for procrastination in academic life

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, easier said than done, but try to stay calm. Whatever happens it'll be okay!

Secondly, think rationally about this for a second. It's a big step up from GCSE and this is it. You have only just started and everyone will be in the same boat as you, I'm sure you're all thinking the same thing! I know I did. But it will get easier in time. Grade requirements for A Level courses are there for a reason, you have already expressed the ability to succeed in your choices. You wouldn't have been able to take them had anyone thought otherwise.

It just takes a bit of getting used to, but make sure you're keeping on top of your work and that you're really paying attention in class and making good notes. If there is anything you don't understand, anything at all, ask your lecturer. It's their job. And both you and them will be thanking you later on in the year for getting your questions out of the way when you had them.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

Sorry for the ramble.
    Don't worry - starting year 12 really knocked me out too. There was so much going on and so much to remember that I sort of went into shutdown mode (tho other emotional aspects played into that too, not just the work)
    It is very daunting, but believe me, once you find routine and get to know your classmates and teachers, you will get the hang of it. When I left secondary school and started college, the change in both pace and work style was massive - things I had been taught previously were wrong, even my English teacher said the way I had been taught to write essays was completely wrong too. And that was a BIG shock. But the later years of education are going to be different, more independent, and generally more complex.

But after about a month, I found rhythm. By then I knew people at least by name, and had my timetable and routine (a little bit of planning and having a book to write all my work/events/etc. into really helped for me!). Remember everyone is in the same boat! There will be other people in your classes who will feel a little overwhelmed. But your tutors aren't just tutors, they're mentors too. If you're having trouble understanding something, ask them at the end of the session or catch them during your lunchbreak. They are there to help. And if you don't want to go alone, see if there is anyone else in your class that feels the same and go together. If where you're studying has a library, there is usually library staff there who are specially trained to give you a helping hand with your work.

I know it's stressful as hell, but there are methods of managing stress. Talking to teachers can help, as can your friendship circle. I had serious self-doubt issues, and without my friends and the advice given to me by my mentors, I wouldn't have done as well as I could have. There's lots of help guides in the library and online, and your college should have trained learning support too, who will help you understand or catch up. Make sure to look after yourself, drink lots of water and eat well. You'll be okay, there's always people there to look out for you, including on student sites like this. Having a little confidence when it gets tough can be hard, but even if you just tell yourself "I'm going to do my best, and make myself proud" every now and again can give you a little boost. All the best, and look after yourself!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.