Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm an international student,
    I know I'm pretty late, however can I still apply for medicine in any uni in the UK ?
    --
    IGCSE : A*A*A*A*AAB
    AS : AAAA(Maths, Chem, Bio, Arabic)
    AL : A*A*C ( A* Maths, A* Chem, C Bio because i didn't do unit 5 )
    --
    Ielts : 7.5/9
    --
    Budget : 13,000 Sterling Pounds ( for everything )
    --
    I got extra experience with certificates, I did one full year of MBBS in a uni here in my country ( Jordan ) and study the subjects : anatomy, physiology, histology, and biochemistry while getting to honours list in medical school.
    Also I did some courses, like a PCR ( polymerase chain reaction ) laboratory and lecture, also blood transfusions from a hospital, both certified.
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halo9275)
    Hello,
    I'm an international student,
    I know I'm pretty late, however can I still apply for medicine in any uni in the UK ?
    --
    IGCSE : A*A*A*A*AAB
    AS : AAAA(Maths, Chem, Bio, Arabic)
    AL : A*A*C ( A* Maths, A* Chem, C Bio because i didn't do unit 5 )
    --
    Ielts : 7.5/9
    --
    Budget : 13,000 Sterling Pounds ( for everything )
    --
    I got extra experience with certificates, I did one full year of MBBS in a uni here in my country ( Jordan ) and study the subjects : anatomy, physiology, histology, and biochemistry while getting to honours list in medical school.
    Also I did some courses, like a PCR ( polymerase chain reaction ) laboratory and lecture, also blood transfusions from a hospital, both certified.
    Thanks in advance
    I can't help with whether your qualifications are suitable enough, but I can comment on a few other things. It's not too late to apply for 2017 entry, as the UCAS deadline for medicine is mid-October 2016, and the 2018 entry deadline will be mid-October 2017.

The main issue you have is funding - £13,000 isn't enough. The international tuition fees for Medicine at Newcastle University, for example, are £17,935 per year (for 2017 entry), rising to £33,190 per year for years three, four and five of your degree. In addition to tuition fees, there are your living costs, which will be several thousand pounds per year. You won't get a government loan, so funding is a serious issue for you, regardless of what degree you study in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    I can't help with whether your qualifications are suitable enough, but I can comment on a few other things. It's not too late to apply for 2017 entry, as the UCAS deadline for medicine is mid-October 2016, and the 2018 entry deadline will be mid-October 2017.

The main issue you have is funding - £13,000 isn't enough. The international tuition fees for Medicine at Newcastle University, for example, are £17,935 per year (for 2017 entry), rising to £33,190 per year for years three, four and five of your degree. In addition to tuition fees, there are your living costs, which will be several thousand pounds per year. You won't get a government loan, so funding is a serious issue for you, regardless of what degree you study in the UK.
    Thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Unfortunately, A-levels of A*A*C would not be good enough. The C in biology would mean that med schools in the UK would not allow your application to progress.

University in the UK is expensive enough for home students who aren't eligible for funding, so for international students, it's considerably more. Your budget wouldn't even cover the fees for a home student let alone international. Unfortunately, your budget would also prevent you from studying medicine in the UK.

I also believe that starting a medical degree elsewhere and not completing it would also go against you.

Look into EU med schools, but you'd still need to increase your budget.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I know that universities in the Netherlands and east Europe (esp. Hungary) offer English Medicine courses. It's also well respected (many german students that don't make it into a german university go there) and after your Masters in Medicine you will be qualified to work anywhere in the EU. However, what is most important for you: they are definitely much cheaper than universities in the UK. Not only tuition but also living expenses and your qualifications match the entry requirements.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.