The Student Room Group

What percentage do you have to get in your modules to get an A* in maths A-level ?

I got an A in AS Maths with UMSs 95-C1 100-C2 and 76-S1 with 90% average so my question is do I have to repeat S1 again this year because I didn't get 80UMS+ or can I still get an A* without resitting it as long as I get 90% or over in C3,C4 and M2?
I hope I'm making sense :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

To get A* you need to average 90 in C3 and C4, AND get an A over all 6 modules.

C3 and C4 are the only A* modules if you're not taking further maths :smile:

Ps I'm basing this on the edexcel spec but I think it's the same for other boards
For my exam board (edexcel) you need to get 480/600 UMS overall and 180/200 UMS in C3 and C4 combined. So if you do get 180/200 in C3 and C4, you literally need 29 UMS in M2 for an A* anyway so there isn't much need for a resit, you did very well!
Original post by electrifeye

Ps I'm basing this on the edexcel spec but I think it's the same for other boards

I'm doing edexcel, so I would have to repeat S1?
I really despise S1 and found it dull and quite difficult tbh which is the reason I didn't get an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LogicIsKey
For my exam board (edexcel) you need to get 480/600 UMS overall and 180/200 UMS in C3 and C4 combined. So if you do get 180/200 in C3 and C4, you literally need 29 UMS in M2 for an A* anyway so there isn't much need for a resit, you did very well!

Thanks you so much :smile: I wanted to hear that so bad !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Easily. You would have 262/300 UMS now, you would only need 218 UMS next year AND 180/200 in C3 and C4 for an A*. As long as you smash c3 and c4 you'll be fine.
Reply 6
It is very simple. You need:

At least 480 UMS overall

At least 180 UMS from C3 and C4.

Nothing else matters so your S1 is fine.

However, you say you are taking M2 as your second applied unit. That's not an acceptable combination with S1 for Maths. If you have already taken S1 you have to take S2, M1 or D1.
Goodlucl in getting A* mate
Btw guys in fm i got
D1 60 ums
Fp1 94 ums
S1 86 ums
So 240/300 A
What do i need for an A* in fm?
Reply 8
Original post by Nonamebzja
Goodlucl in getting A* mate
Btw guys in fm i got
D1 60 ums
Fp1 94 ums
S1 86 ums
So 240/300 A
What do i need for an A* in fm?

For an A* in FM you need:

At least 480 UMS overall

At least 270 UMS from your best 3 A2 units in FM (that's anything that ends in a 2 or more - FP2, M3 etc)

When they calculate your Maths and FM grades they will automatically move your applied units between the 2 subjects to maximise your grades, so S1 and D1 may not land up in FM.
Original post by Compost
For an A* in FM you need:

At least 480 UMS overall

At least 270 UMS from your best 3 A2 units in FM (that's anything that ends in a 2 or more - FP2, M3 etc)

When they calculate your Maths and FM grades they will automatically move your applied units between the 2 subjects to maximise your grades, so S1 and D1 may not land up in FM.

What is the point of d1 hate that **** lol
Original post by electrifeye

Okay so i got the following ums marks:
C1:93
C2:83
C3:84
C4:94
M1:84
M2:61

Do i need to get an A in M2 as well like you said?? & 2 more ums marks in either c3 or c4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by English-help
Do i need to get an A in M2 as well like you said??

No. I think you have misunderstood electrifeye's meaning. You need an average of an A (i.e. at least 480 UMS) across the units, not an A in each unit.
(edited 7 years ago)
80% Average across all six maths modules taken and 90% average in C3 and C4
Original post by Compost
No. I think you have misunderstood electrifeye's meaning. You need an average of an A (i.e. at least 480 UMS) across the units, not an A in each unit.

So i was 2 ums marks off an A* then?
Okay say i wanted to get an A* would recommend me sitting a
C3 exam
C4 exam
Or both C3 & C4 exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The most asked question ever on TSR
What is the point of d1 hate that **** lol

I hate it too !! Still don't know how I managed to get 90 UMS in that module.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blck&burgundy
I hate it too !! Still don't know how I managed to get 90 UMS in that module.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, thats great , i was lucky to get a C🙈
Good thing there is no d2 😂😂
Guys... I got 299/300 UMS for AS Maths this year, does this mean I will only need 1 UMS in M1 next year as well as 180 across C3/4? Lmaoooo
Haha, thats great , i was lucky to get a C🙈
Good thing there is no d2 😂😂

But there is a D2?

Quick Reply

Latest