Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I've just been offered a place for 2016 after being on the waiting list, but have only been offered accommodation at Teikyo University in Durham but will be in Trevs(original college)/Van Mildert.

Does anyone know anything about the Teikyo accommodation? Would I feel excluded/far away from everyone else? :s
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    Hi,

So I've just been offered a place for 2016 after being on the waiting list, but have only been offered accommodation at Teikyo University in Durham but will be in Trevs(original college)/Van Mildert.

Does anyone know anything about the Teikyo accommodation? Would I feel excluded/far away from everyone else? :s
    I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to research Teikyo a bit but haven't found out much, however I know that there's more than just a few people from Durham that stay there (Teikyo Uni are there so that their students can practice English and integrate with Durham students, so there would need to be a significant number of Durham students staying there). Plus you'll still be involved in societies in the main college, and you can still be with people in the college buildings and spend the evening with them in their flats if you make friends with people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to research Teikyo a bit but haven't found out much, however I know that there's more than just a few people from Durham that stay there (Teikyo Uni are there so that their students can practice English and integrate with Durham students, so there would need to be a significant number of Durham students staying there). Plus you'll still be involved in societies in the main college, and you can still be with people in the college buildings and spend the evening with them in their flats if you make friends with people
    Thanks so much for the reply anything else you know about Teikyo and the arrangement?

ReputationRep:
    The Teikyo accomodation is just behind St Marys (backing on to Trevelyan). There is a building opposite Van-Mildert listed as Teikyo as well, but that's lecture theatres and offices, rather than bedrooms.

Distance wise, you are looking less than a 5min walk on the flat between bedroom and whichever of Trevs or Mildert you get allocated to.

Have they indicated whether it is catered through at your college, catered elsewhere, or self-catered accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    The Teikyo accomodation is just behind St Marys (backing on to Trevelyan). There is a building opposite Van-Mildert listed as Teikyo as well, but that's lecture theatres and offices, rather than bedrooms.

Distance wise, you are looking less than a 5min walk on the flat between bedroom and whichever of Trevs or Mildert you get allocated to.

Have they indicated whether it is catered through at your college, catered elsewhere, or self-catered accommodation?
    Yeah you would eat in your college. Do you think it's worth it (going this year to Tokyo vs next year in college)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    Yeah you would eat in your college. Do you think it's worth it (going this year to Tokyo vs next year in college)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going this year rather than taking the gap year option, but that's mainly because I want to keep at the same speed as my friends plus most people move out in 2nd year anyway so it's only a year

ReputationRep:
    It's your decision to make as to whether you defer, but in your position I'd go this year.

The distance between Teikyo and either of the colleges is small enough that there shouldn't be any issues socially, get involved with the college societies and activities, and you won't notice an extra 5mins from your room (although living in a small detached block rather than a large college building can have some serious advantages when it comes to the inevitable 4am fire alarms...)

ReputationRep:
    Really nice place and very close to the Oriental museum and to Van Mildert and Trevs. In fact you have a shorter walk than many in the Bailey colleges because their accommodation is spread around. and not under one roof as many think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.